Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini digital reverb?

Hi all

Does anyone know of a very small and dinky digital reverb? I'm looking for something that I can build into the chassis or cabinet of an amp, and maybe even run off the heater supply with a rectifier and regulator. Basically like a sort of 21st century spring reverb tank, that doesn't need all those driver tube and transformer gubbins, and can offer other sounds too. (and doesn't go Sproinnngggggg if you bump the amp)

I started out with an old Digitech Studio Twin rackmount unit wired up to the effects loop. I think it sounds great, but it's never going to fit in the cabinet. It has loads of guts and uses a lot of power.

I checked out the Alesis Nanoverb and Picoverb, but they are a bit expensive and need 9V AC, and I don't really have room for another transformer.

I also saw the RA-FX3C module from Resolute, that is tiny, pretty cheap, and only needs 5v DC. But since it's only like $25, surely it's going to sound terrible

Another option would be the digital FX chipset that Alesis sell. I think it's basically the guts of the Picoverb. It's not too expensive and they have a good reputation for sound quality, but it needs a PCB made

Has anyone experimented with stuff like this before? I'd be interested to hear your $.02.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Steve,

I haven't heard one, but the Danelectro DJ-4 reverb pedal is only $30USD; perhaps you can find one over there to try out.

Thanks for the info on the RA-FX3C; the datasheet looks impressive. I guess they also offer the RA-FX1V, a few more algorithms for 3GBP more. This PCB looks similar to one I pulled out of a 15W SS Crate amp, so maybe all the built-in-FX amps are using the same PCB.

The Nanoverb converts the 9VAC to +/-5VDC; don't know if that makes a difference for you or not. I really like the Nanoverb, it's what I'll be using in my amp (I hope it'll fit!).

Ray

Comment

Go over to the diystompbox forum, specifically the digital sub-forum, and check out the Fem-to-Verb project. This is based on the Alesis/Wavefront chipset, and produces 16 different digital effects. It is seemingly the basis for a LOT of built-in digi-FX in budget-conscious amps, but apparently delivers half-decent reverb. One does not have to use all 16 effects programs if one does not wish to.

A tested board layout is posted on the forum. Note that it assumes one has the chops to solder surface-mount chips. I made one, and it was relatively easy to "sweat" the chip into place, but unfortunately I put it together prior to when a few layout errors were noted by forum members. While those have since been corrected, I haven't got around to re-making it so I can't comment from first-hand experience.

I'm not sure if he carries them...yet...but folks have been pestering Steve Daniels at Small Bear Electronics to carry them.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Mark: I noticed that a local electronics supplier carries a ready-made board with the Alesis/Wavefront chipset and a couple of op-amps on it, for about $40. It has connections for power, audio, and the 4 digital lines for choosing what effect program you want.

I guess I'll be trying to order one of those.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

a ready-made board with the Alesis/Wavefront chipset and a couple of op-amps on it, for about $40
          This is interesting and well worth the money saving the hassle of ordering from Wavefrontsemi and soldering SMDs. Can you post a link and keep is informed on that?
          I've already built the Femtoverb using the layout from Aron's forum and I like it but next time I would prefer a presoldered board if possible.

Comment

I would also be interested in the supplier particulars. That's a decent price for the unit. Obviously, one can keep an eye open and find a Pico-Verb second hand for a decent price, but a populated board like that permits easy insertion of digi-FX into an amp.

Comment

http://www.profusionplc.com/cgi-bin/...tno=AL3201-RVB

I don't know what size, shape etc. it is, but if you hang on I'll post pictures of mine when I get it, and document my install of it into an amp.

Comment

Thanks, mate.

Comment

Another forum member just sent me a message telling me about this:
                  http://www.behringer.com/FEX800/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It's bigger and uglier than even the Nanoverb, but it seems to have great tweaking options including a tempo tap button for the delay. When I'm practising I sometimes like to hook up a 1/4 or 1/2 note delay, it's kind of like playing to a metronome but more fun

If I'd wanted that on the Wavefront chipset, I'd have had to write my own delay patch and add a microcontroller to upload it. So I'm tempted to get the Behringer thing instead and steal its guts. (or cover it in tweed or something...)

Comment

You might want to take a look at this chip as well from Spin Semiconductor.
                    http://www.spinsemi.com/get_datashee...1&pdf=FV-1.pdf

It costs $10@ in small quantities, but then you only need one chip instead of the 3 required by Wavefront, and it has 3 parameters to control for each program. Looks promising.

Comment

29.00 GBP or 55.1392 USD for shipping outside UK something that costs the half??? Now that's a perfect way to do business!
                      Thank you very much! I'll skip.

Comment

Update: I just bought a RA-FX3C from Profusion. (The shipping is a lot more reasonable if you live in the UK.) It was cheaper and smaller than the board I originally posted, and though I thought it was a different chip, it's actually based on the AL3201, with a Cirrus Logic 24-bit codec, and a micro of some sort that loads in 16 new effects programs- including a spring reverb yay!- in place of the Alesis originals. Also it runs off a single 5V rail, the other one needed split rails, so it's all good! I've already hooked up a voltage tripler arrangement to run my 12v channel switching relays off the heater winding, so I can regulate that down to 5V easy.

I still need to get a binary code switch to select the program, and figure out how to mount it neatly in the amp, and then I'm good to go. I guess I can hack it to let me choose between the Alesis programs and the new ones, too.

Comment

Good to hear more digital reverb alternatives are becoming available.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                            Update: I just bought a RA-FX3C from Profusion. (The shipping is a lot more reasonable if you live in the UK.) It was cheaper and smaller than the board I originally posted, and though I thought it was a different chip, it's actually based on the AL3201, with a Cirrus Logic 24-bit codec, and a micro of some sort that loads in 16 new effects programs- including a spring reverb yay!- in place of the Alesis originals. Also it runs off a single 5V rail, the other one needed split rails, so it's all good! I've already hooked up a voltage tripler arrangement to run my 12v channel switching relays off the heater winding, so I can regulate that down to 5V easy.

I still need to get a binary code switch to select the program, and figure out how to mount it neatly in the amp, and then I'm good to go. I guess I can hack it to let me choose between the Alesis programs and the new ones, too.
                            r u complete the project? How it works? i'm using al3201.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                              Hi all

Does anyone know of a very small and dinky digital reverb? I'm looking for something that I can build into the chassis or cabinet of an amp, and maybe even run off the heater supply with a rectifier and regulator. Basically like a sort of 21st century spring reverb tank, that doesn't need all those driver tube and transformer gubbins, and can offer other sounds too. (and doesn't go Sproinnngggggg if you bump the amp)

I started out with an old Digitech Studio Twin rackmount unit wired up to the effects loop. I think it sounds great, but it's never going to fit in the cabinet. It has loads of guts and uses a lot of power.

I checked out the Alesis Nanoverb and Picoverb, but they are a bit expensive and need 9V AC, and I don't really have room for another transformer.

I also saw the RA-FX3C module from Resolute, that is tiny, pretty cheap, and only needs 5v DC. But since it's only like $25, surely it's going to sound terrible

Another option would be the digital FX chipset that Alesis sell. I think it's basically the guts of the Picoverb. It's not too expensive and they have a good reputation for sound quality, but it needs a PCB made

Has anyone experimented with stuff like this before? I'd be interested to hear your $.02.
                              do u have electronic background? can try bd3201 with suitable adc/dac.

Comment

Working...
                              X