Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender deluxe 90 prob....any fender techs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender deluxe 90 prob....any fender techs?

I have a deluxe 90 that a friend asked me to look at. I'm wondering if the problem is a common fender issue, thats why i asked if any fender techs might be able to help me. This issue seems exactly like a intermittant connection such as a bad solder joint. but i have checked and re-flowed every joint on the board !!!! I've made sure it's not one of the ribbon cables too. the strange thing is that ican tap so lightly on the board or even the chassis and the problem with come and go, even so light i just drop the end of a pen from 1/4" above it. then at other times i have to hit it hard as i can w/o breaking it numerous times to make it happen. I do realize there are time the traces can be seperated at the joint, but i've check them and even scraped some traces to get a more solid longer contact.

There is nothing that suggests where on the board it is. When it's easy to tap it ever so lightly and make it come and go, it happens anywhere on the board equally. I've tried pushing on components, tried lifting the outputs and reversing the plastic pads. Theres just no obvious reason for this and it makes no sense. I found a you tube video of someone with what seems to be the same problem, tho he says when he touches the filter caps is when it happens. I think he just hasn'tt yet realized it will happen no matter where he taps it. It makes a click click click sound similar to motorboating but a more high pitched sound,his isn't as hih as mine tho) but then changes to a hum with the guitar cable unplugged. Check out the video.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLQ-IWxcKo

By the way, it sounds fine once you've tapped it and gotten it to stop. But then it starts again with a nudge and no signal gets thru from the guitars. Any ideas? Thanks

I can tell you that the Deluxe 90's we've seen have had their fair share of bad solder joints, bad jacks, and the usual common problem of the 5W resistors that desolder themselves from the PCB.

Your troubleshooting techniques are right on, you just haven't found the intermittent yet. Could be where a lead enters into a component. If the board is that sensitive in all areas, it's tough. And sometimes my friend, you just CAN'T find it. Those are the ones we all hate!
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Actually i just found it. Bad filter cap. Funny, i thought i checked them out pretty good. But i replaced one and now it's fine. The leads are riveted and i thing that could be where it was intermittant.

Comment

Working...
      X