Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Strat pickup history question. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat pickup history question. . .

What is the history of the phasing of Stratocaster pickups? North up on all 3 pickups to '59? South up on all 3 pickups '60 - '64? CBS onward, RWRP S-N-S?

Input on the phasing history from those that have spent some time on this would be much appreciated.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

No rw/rp at all . They never introduced a 5 way switch till 1978 & then still didn't use rw/rp .... after 1960 i thought the poles stayed south.
    Last edited by copperheadroads; 05-20-2017, 01:08 PM. Reason: forgot some dots
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      They never introduced a 5 way switch till 1978 & then still didn't use rw/rp ....
      And this is the reason they finally got around to it... I think.
      Back then, you had to use a guitar pick, match book or tape to hold the switch in the "in between" positions.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Back in the old days, we used to take the spring out of the std Strat 3-way so it would get the in-between sound. Sometimes we would even put extra notches in the detent plate. Then Fender finally introduced the 5-Way and we ended up doing a lot of switch swapping.
        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

And rather conversely, I've retrofitted 3-way switches to factory 5-way guitars for a few customers who think the 5-way destroys the purity of the original design and who never use position 2 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            And rather conversely, I've retrofitted 3-way switches to factory 5-way guitars for a few customers who think the 5-way destroys the purity of the original design and who never use position 2 and 4.
            Never use the 2 & 4 position!!!??? Isn't that like buying a Ferrari and only driving it in the parking lot!!! LOL

Mick, I do know what you mean... guitarists are a picky bunch, and what one likes, the other hates. Good point.
            Last edited by Jim Darr; 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
            =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
              never use position 2 and 4.
              here's your sign !!!
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Back to a segue from my OP. . .

When did wire manufacturers start manufacturing per-tinned cloth insulated wire, the type we use for leads on some pickups? I have a customer that asked me to install a $1,000 1962 Strat pickup in a '62 Strat he is bringing back to year correct parts. While the pickup AND cloth lead wire certainly have what looks like 50 years worth of patina, the lead wires are pre-tinned wire. I would not have thought they would have been manufacturing pre-tinned wire of this type back in the early '60's.

Thoughts? ? ?
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

Personally, I hate those positions.

I actually disconnect the middle on a some of my strats and use neck+bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
                    Personally, I hate those positions.

I actually disconnect the middle on a some of my strats and use neck+bridge.
                    You can reverse the switch pickup wiring for bridge and middle
                    1 Middle
                    2 Middle and bridge
                    3 Bridge
                    4 Bridge and Neck
                    5 Neck
                    I've done this for a few players that mainly use bridge and neck pickups.
                    Would be a bit tricky to get used to, I would think?
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      You can reverse the switch pickup wiring for bridge and middle
                      Cool. Nice, simple, useful mod. Who needs more than one "quack" position anyway?

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      Would be a bit tricky to get used to, I would think?
                      Nah, not if its your main "axe" (bleah, I hate that word).

No more tricky than Bill Lawrence's "half out of phase" wiring for Tele.
                      1 Neck with series capacitor (thinner tone)
                      2 Half-out-of-phase (quack)
                      3 Bridge
                      4 Bridge + Neck
                      5 Neck

I've got a Tele with a fake Strat position; maybe some day I'll have a Strat with a fake Tele position....

-rb
                      Last edited by rjb; 06-02-2017, 02:54 PM.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                        When did wire manufacturers start manufacturing per-tinned cloth insulated wire, the type we use for leads on some pickups? I have a customer that asked me to install a $1,000 1962 Strat pickup in a '62 Strat he is bringing back to year correct parts. While the pickup AND cloth lead wire certainly have what looks like 50 years worth of patina, the lead wires are pre-tinned wire. I would not have thought they would have been manufacturing pre-tinned wire of this type back in the early '60's.

Thoughts? ? ?
                        Thought:
                        Say your suspicion is correct, and pre-tinned cloth lead wire did not exist in the early '60s.
                        Do you want to be the person to tell the emperor that he is naked?

-rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I'm pretty sure fabric-insulated tinned wire goes back at least to the 1930s. There were some prewar TVs (late 30s) that used it, and the mid-30s RCA AR-60 transmitter.

Comment

Working...
                          X