Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technics SL-D3 mechanical problem?

Hello there,

I received a 30 year-old SL-D3 turntable.
    After installation and adjustment of the tone-arm a problem occurs:
    with both automatic and hand operation the tone-arm slides to the center of the platter, immediately when the needle touches the platter. leaving behind a scratching noise and a sad face.

Does anyone has any idea what's wrong with this beautiful turntable?

thanks.

best regards,

Björn

Is there still a needle point on the stylus tip? A missing diamond will do that.

make sure the tone arm has sufficient weight to track.

Note the current setting, and experiment a little with the anti-skate adjustment, if this model has that feature.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks Enzo,

I had to use a magnifier to conclude that the tip is missing.
      how simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Is there still a needle point on the stylus tip? A missing diamond will do that.
        \Enzo, that my friend was a slick diagnosis.
        Thumbs Up!
        Is that Occam's Razor?

Comment

That is a "I been playing records for 60 years and every time the tone arm skates that is why" Razor.

But that Occam was a sharp dude. You want your Razor to be sharp, y'know.

Didn't Occam have a brother, Trent?

(Trent Razor? No?.....)

I once dated a woman for a while, but she skated and left me scratching and with a sad face. Problem was "no diamond" there, also.

Oh alright, now I'm just making stuff up.

(Occam's Reznor? No?....)
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If Trent Reznor ever gets tired of his band, he can use No More Nails.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I think you nailed it, Steve.

Comment

Working...
              X