Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb "hum" in Marshall VS100

Hi!

After many months without turn my Marshall VS100 on, I was surprised when I turned it on and found that the reverb seemed to not be working. So, I unplugged the connectors of the reverb tank and sprayed a contact cleaner solution, and it seems to make the rever work again.

The problem now is that there is a constant "hum" noise coming from the reverb, and afair, this didnt happen before. I recorded this in the following video.

I also noticed that if I attach a wire to the tank and ground it to my iron door, the noise goes away (but this is not a solution, since I cannot assume that I'll be able to ground it anywhere I go).

Any tips about this problem?

Thanks!

Carlos

Looks like you lost the shielded ground connection on the wire with the red connector. If it connects to rca jacks on the chassis somewhere, you can just replace that cable. If the wires disappear into the chassis, then the chassis needs to be pulled to inspect and repair the connection where it is soldered to the board, or replace the wire.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I removed the two internal connectors inside the reverb tank (that are wired to the RCA plugs and connects to the springs module) and repluged them, and the noise is gone. Weird... I hope it will not come back.

Comment

In that case, I would give both those connectors a little squirt of cleaner. It'll be fine.

Comment

Yep, I sprayed contactmatic on both, and re-plugged it two times to make sure any "dirty" was removed. I just hope this was the real problem, and not just a temporary solution.

Comment

I expect you fixed it. Just a dirty connection. Happens all the time. I fixed one recently that wasn't making any reverb, same fix. The difference is I lost the signal connection, and you lost the shield connection.

Comment

Working...
            X