Jvc rx-9v reciever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jvc rx-9v reciever

Hi again: The receiver was working fine and sounded better in A-B comparisons that just about any I've heard. It sat in my living room for about a year then when I tried it the left channel was low in volume and distorted. I've just begun to work an this and I have the service manual but it is hard to decipher and I don't know how to upload it. With a little help I hope this to be an easy fix.

On most receivers, check the switches, and clean their contacts. Many switches can get electrically dirty, the source selector switch, the tone switches and tone defeat switches, the speaker select switches. A lot of receivers have preamp out and power amp in jacks in back. Some require a jumper plug across them, others defeat those jacks with a switch. Put that on your list. Any tape monitor or recording monitor switches could also be involved.

If flicking any switch up and down or back and forth makes the left one come back up, even for a moment, that points at the switch being dirty.

VOlume controls are often dual units, and the balance control could also be involved, so rotate those around to see if they seem dirty.

Of course it could be a real electrical problem, but my experience is that these dirty contact situations are quite common.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I was an authorized JVC tech for over 20 years. What Enzo said. Also check all inputs individually first . This unit is from 1986. It may have a dirty tape monitor switch. It's a very common problem on old receivers if that function is never used. However... the info on this unit says it's "Computer Controled" which meant something entirely different in 1986. If a u is doing all of the switching things won't be so simple. Try testing the preamp out or tape monitor out to see if both channels are clean. If they aren't the problem is in the preamp. Then plug a signal source into the preamp in or tape monitor input. If there is still a channel out I would suspect a power amp problem. A little freeze spray might be your friend. It isn't unusual for signal path capacitors to fail in units of this age. It's helpful to have a scope or a signal tracer.

Comment

I still need a little help with this and think I have tracked down the problem to some of the low voltages missing on the amp? board. There's lots of boards in this unit.

It appears all the switching and even the balance and volume controls are done via IC's, there are no pots to be found.

I've attempted to upload a .PDF service manual without any luck. Can someone explain how to do this?

Comment

1) Click reply.
          2) Click advanced.
          3) Click the little paper clip picture.
          4) Click add files.
          5) Click choose file and select your file.
          6) Click upload.
          7) Click insert inline.
          8) Click done.

Edit: Ignore the attachment. I was attaching a file as I wrote this just to make sure I had it right.
          Attached Files
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Dude: I tried uploading but the file never seems to appear in the uploaded file list. Is there a size restriction, would zipping it help?

Comment

What size is the file?

To upload files I simply click on the third icon from the right: "Insert Image".

Comment

The file is 30.6 Mb. Tried zipping it and still same size. It's a .PDF

Tried the "insert image" and after spooling awhile it fails to load, post, or enter into the upload library.

I even tried to find the same file, or any service manual for this unit online, but no luck.

Comment

The file is 30.6 Mb
                  I tried the insert image with no luck
                  Looked online too and still no luck

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405b.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	847577

Name:	IMG_0406b.JPG
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	847578

Name:	IMG_0407b.JPG
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	847579
                    I took pictures of the relevant part of the service manual. 1st and 3rd are the same but different shots. Hopefully you guys will be able to make them out. Where I have a problem is in the 1st/3rd drawing, lower left corner, board ENG004 at the connecter.
                    The +/- 64 volts is there but none of the others.

I have carefully checked the other voltages on various connecters and they all seem to be present.

The problem is 2/3 of the display is not lit and left channel is distorted.

LMK if I can supply any additional details to sort this all out.

Thank you!

Comment

If the file is not locked, you can use "Cute PDF Writer" to 'print' (it sets up as a printer) separate pages or groups of pages, to a pdf file.

CutePDF :: Product :: CutePDF Writer

Comment

The file is locked but I was able to use PDF Element leaving a watermark
                        AMP SCHEMATIC.pdf
                        My question is in the lower right corner on board ENG-004 there is a 12 pin connecter with pins 1-5 labeled 0.0 volts
                        Pin 6 is labeled -2.35. this voltage is missing
                        Pin 7 is labeled 2.37. this voltage is missing
                        Pin 8 is labeled -64.4 this voltage is present
                        Pin 9 is labeled 64.3. this voltage is present
                        Pin 10 labeled 2.37. this voltage is missing
                        Pin 11 labeled -2.35 I think. this voltage is missing
                        Pin 12 labeled 0 volts

So where are these missing voltages coming from and how do I get them back?

BTW the heavy black line supposedly shows the signal path.
                        There are more pages I can provide if needed but this is the schematic

Comment

The missing voltages are 'derived' from the transistors (Q707/ 709) & (Q712/ 710) being good & properly biased.
                          It will take a good bit of detective work to find why the voltages are missing.
                          Fortunately the expected transistor voltages are well marked.

Comment

base emitter collector
                            Q707 64.3 64.2 54.1
                            Q709 60.9 53.8 0
                            Q710 60.9 53.3 0
                            Q712 -63.2 -64 0

Comment

Q712 is not working.

Comment

Working...
                              X