Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As advised before: If possible measure inductance and forget the rest (apart from magnet size and strength).
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by okabass View Post
      Ok.

"Wire size... which makes a huge difference" "Size" means exactly what? Gauge? Diameter?

ps. I'm gettin tired that certain dismissive style some "answer" here. To my original question I get very, very little information. Good advice is if you don't know the matter, you don't 'have' to nitpick something "wise". It seems that excluding some very informative nice members, some are just hair splitting. That's not what I expected to happen on this forum. Sorry. I'm used to give knowledge, and get knowledge.
      So what is the exact question?
      You're making a split coil?
      What can the membership do to help?
      This pickup forum is mainly commercial builders, and guys in business don't give away a lot of particulars.
      So keep that in mind with your questions!
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
        As advised before: If possible measure inductance and forget the rest (apart from magnet size and strength).
        Ok. Thank you for the right direction. I have that kind of speculations, that the inductance is one of the most important factors.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          So what is the exact question?
          You're making a split coil?
          What can the membership do to help?
          This pickup forum is mainly commercial builders, and guys in business don't give away a lot of particulars.
          So keep that in mind with your questions!
          GL,
          T
          "So what is the exact question? What can the membership do to help?"
          My questions were: "Like to hear your opinions how hot to wind it?" "Now I going to try more turns. What would be max turns ? My first intention is 8-9 kΩ. Is over 10 kΩ too muddy? "

I have got from Antigua and Hemholtz, and perhaps a few others, 99 % of all the useful information. Thanks them all.

I made a split coil already, not what I like.

Stack type PU with two ca. 14 kΩ coils (Seym. Duncan clone) works much better to me.
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl5rv0rkhe...52.42.jpg?dl=0

I understand if someone doesn't like to give information.That is totally ok. But what I don't understand is that why then bother "answer" something off the point. And a style like thinking that the person who is asking is an idiot.
          Last edited by okabass; 07-06-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Here's a Split J pickup with large magnets I made one time.
            You might get some Ideas from it.
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...highlight=bass
            Data in post 5.
            Another pickup you might try in your bass is a Blade Bucker.
            You could use the blade data for a Telecaster Bridge blade pickup.
            In my experimenting I liked about everything better than a stacked pickkup, but that's just me.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 07-06-2018, 10:47 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Here's a Split J pickup with large magnets I made one time.
              You might get some Ideas from it.
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...highlight=bass
              Another pickup you might try in your bass is a Blade Bucker.
              You could use the blade data for a Telecaster Bridge blade pickup.
              In my experimenting I liked about everything better than a stacked pickkup, but that's just me.
              T
              Ok. Nice clean PU.
              Perhaps split works on JB. And of course post '57 P Bass.
              I try to get dirty and brutal sounding PU to a Pre '57 Precision Bass. The magnets are big part of that sound (one per string and small diameter).
              I've made now two split coils to '51 style P Bass. I found them kind of too nice. But one bass player liked and bought one (7,6 kΩ). The latter with 8,5 kΩ is better.
              I've tried some guitar rail humbuckers on my bass. Kind of ok, but too far from original single coil.
              The stack is now in, and I found it best up to now.

Comment

To my original question I get very, very little information.
                On the contrary, you got a ton of excellent info, given by several different experienced professionals that happen to be members, that obviously went way over your head.

" There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know.
                There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.
                But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. "

- Donald Rumsfeld

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

FYI.

NOW you can throw your usual temper tantrum.
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  On the contrary, you got a ton of excellent info, given by several different experienced professionals that happen to be members, that obviously went way over your head.

Ok. Like what? Give me one example to think about.
                  Why are you giving info that goes over my head? To prove something?
                  I know a bit for example repairing or making tube amps, bass playing as a pro, watches...
                  If someone is asking, I try to be as helpful as I could.
                  I learned that from people that really know their stuff like late Peter Stevens (WAL basses), Ruokangas guitars, Tom Stenback, Johan Lundgren, Aiken amps, Finnish Watchmaker school teachers...

Comment

Why are you giving info that goes over my head?
                    Oh, man... really?

Well, after this statement, I think you'll better suited to post in the Beginner/Hobbyist section.
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by okabass
                      By the way, never heard anybody to glorify an italian made pickup.
                      I'll skip over the passive-agressive racist/classist insult, thanking you for oh, so graciously making the point for me. Dunning-Kruger much?

The non-sensical, almost hilarious question in response to my statement is obviously due to a non-up-to-par mastery of the english language, so as I'm in a generous mood, I'll skip over that one too. Suomi looks difficult enough as it is.

Putting it very gently, contrarily to what you might believe, reality shows that you obviously don't know a lot of things. The content and the tone of your posts made it clear since you started posting here.

After this, I feel even more confident than before that the given advice to post in the Beginner/Hobbyist section is the most adequate for you. At least you won't feel so often the swooshing sound of the given advice going over your head.

Kuulemiin!
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM.
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

Like I indicated yesterday, the pickup forum is unique, and not necessarily the giving caring place okabass wants it to be.
                        It never has been that, but is much more mellow than days of old.
                        Here you will only get generalities, very few specifics.
                        The rest is left up to the pickup builder to figure out, and do through experimentation.
                        Like Pepe said if you want more, probably need to look, and seek elsewhere.
                        So okabass, I think that's about all your going to get on this one.
                        The rest is up to you!
                        GL,
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by okabass
                          Yes. I'll ask with private messages or mail those who really know the matter. Some of you can continue to play in your sand pit. Sorry. Making pickups is facinating, but some of people are not.
                          Only takes a few bad apples .. you know.

" passive-agressive racist/classist insult"
                          By the way "italian" is not a race. And that wasn't mean to insult, but statement: never heard anybody to glorify an
                          Italian PU. Your comment proves it is true.
                          And, like mentioned, for just general nonchalant pickup building, check out the Beginner/Hobbyist sub forum.
                          I happen to be one of the moderators there at the B/H forum.
                          http://music-electronics-forum.com/f...splay.php?f=64
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

I know a bit for example repairing or making tube amps, bass playing as a pro, watches...
                            Allow me to explain a few things about the Pickup Makers Forum. The sysop here, tboy, invited the forum to his earlier site, AMPAGE, maybe 18 years ago after they lost their previous home. Back then Jason Lollar and many of the top boutique winders were regular contributors and amp guys considered it to be an honor and a privilege to be flies on the wall, able to listen in to their conversations. I made a few posts myself listing patent files for pickups that I had uploaded to my website but that was it... I was in the company of gods.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/misc/patents/

When AMPAGE became MEF members had to register to post and many did not make the transition. Jason Lollar still posts here but not as often and has been joined by quite a few very talented although less well known pickup winders. As a matter of fact many of their discussions here these days are much more technical with intricate math (the days of "Magic Bean" recipes is long gone.)

In any case as super moderator here whenever I notice inappropriate threads here (like asking for opinions on commercial pickups from DiM, SD, etc.) I move them to a better home, like "Guitar Tech." I had viewed this thread a few times but since it had been getting plenty of replies I saw no need to move it to the "Beginner/Hobbyist" forum which would have been a better fit.

LtKojak from Milano, Italy is a highly respected member of this forum with 964 very helpful posts. Your replies to him have been highly inappropriate, especially your criticism of his use of English as a second, third or fourth language... geez, so he used the word "race" instead of "nationality". For all I know the distinction between the two terms is different in Italian than it is in English.

Out of respect for Pepe I will be closing this thread for 7 days after which time I may or may not move it to the "Beginner/Hobbyist" forum.

Steve A. — Super moderator, which just means that I can moderate all of the forums here... the last I checked I still couldn't fly!
                            Last edited by Steve A.; 07-07-2018, 07:19 PM.
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:
                            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                              Allow me to explain a few things about the Pickup Makers Forum. The sysop here, tboy, invited the forum to his earlier site, AMPAGE, maybe 18 years ago after they lost their previous home. Back then Jason Lollar and many of the top boutique winders were regular contributors and amp guys considered it to be an honor and a privilege to be flies on the wall, able to listen in to their conversations. I made a few posts myself listing patent files for pickups that I had uploaded to my website but that was it... I was in the company of gods.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/misc/patents/

When AMPAGE became MEF members had to register to post and many did not make the transition. Jason Lollar still posts here but not as often and has been joined by quite a few very talented although less well known pickup winders. As a matter of fact many of their discussions here these days are much more technical with intricate math (the days of "Magic Bean" recipes is long gone.)

In any case as super moderator here whenever I notice inappropriate threads here (like asking for opinions on commercial pickups from DiM, SD, etc.) I move them to a better home, like "Guitar Tech." I had viewed this thread a few times but since it had been getting plenty of replies I saw no need to move it to the "Beginner/Hobbyist" forum which would have been a better fit.

LtKojak from Milano, Italy is a highly respected member of this forum with 964 very helpful posts. Your replies to him have been highly inappropriate, especially your criticism of his use of English as a second, third or fourth language... geez, so he used the word "race" instead of "nationality". For all I know the distinction between the two terms is different in Italian than it is in English.

Out of respect for Pepe I will be closing this thread for 7 days after which time I may or may not move it to the "Beginner/Hobbyist" forum.

Steve A. — Super moderator, which just means that I can moderate all of the forums here... the last I checked I still couldn't fly!
                              Ok. Make this a closed group, then no mortal person can disturb your conversations and rites. I think I can get info and good conversations somewhere else. Thank you.
                              Ps. Blueguitar is great site.

Comment

If someone is asking, I try to be as helpful as I could.
                                I learned that from people that really know their stuff like late Peter Stevens (WAL basses), Ruokangas guitars, Tom Stenback, Johan Lundgren, Aiken amps, Finnish Watchmaker school teachers...

How are you going to learn anything if someone tells you something you already know?

If the concepts here are over your head, then you need to go and study the subject matter and stop being a pain in the ass.

No one is going to hand feed you. Don't be lazy and do your own homework.
                                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                                X