This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post

No one is going to hand feed you. Don't be lazy and do your own homework.
    And I first only asked: " Like to hear your 'opinions' how hot to wind it? . What would be max turns ? My first intention is 8-9 kΩ. Is over 10 kΩ too muddy? "
    How much good "tons of information" you find here answering those questions?
    Homework? I've made some twenty different '51 P Bass pickups, tried them all at gigs, rehearsals and recording. Plus naturally made and rewound other type PUs.
    On curiosity: has somebody here made some twenty versions onī51 type P Bass PU and tried them all?

Ps Your post have been helpful, like on stack Jazz PU., and many others. Thanks.
    Last edited by okabass; 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okabass View Post
      And I first only asked: " Like to hear your opinions how hot to wind it? . What would be max turns ? My first intention is 8-9 kΩ. Is over 10 kΩ too muddy? "
      How much good "tons of information" you find here answering those questions?
      Homework? I've made some twenty different '51 P Bass pickups, tried them all at gigs, rehearsals and recording. Plus naturally made and rewound other type PUs.
      On curiosity: has somebody here made some twenty versions onī51 type P Bass PU and tried them all?

Ps Your post have been helpful, like on stack Jazz PU., and many others. Thanks.
      Do you like your fries with extra salt? i don't but that doesn't make it any better or worse.. Wind it to 10k and report back Hell it may be the best pickup you've ever heard while to me it might sound like crap. It's not like your being asked to put your hand on a hot stove. Since you'e got experience winding do it and see what you hear.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I've made some twenty different '51 P Bass pickups, tried them all.has somebody here made some twenty versions onī51 type P Bass PU and tried them all?
        Man, if after twenty variations of the same p'up you still need to ask, maybe p'up winding is just not for you?

Food for thought...?
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          Man, if after twenty variations of the same p'up you still need to ask, maybe p'up winding is just not for you?

Food for thought...?
          Yes some 20 variations but not so many split coils. I made one several months ago, didn't like it. But one customer liked it and bought it. I did't make many notes cause it wasn't what I was after.
          Now a month ago I made one spilt coil to compare with a "Virtual vintage"-type (Di Marzio as a model), a cheap China rail humbucker, several single coils (a real '56 PU as a model, more wire, bigger magnets etc.) and a stack coil. Ended to use a stack coil.
          Still sorry to wake you up.
          Last edited by okabass; 07-08-2018, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Ok. Make this a closed group, then no mortal person can disturb your conversations and rites.
            Insulting the group after so many members have tried to help answer your questions shows no absolutely respect and gratitude, qualities which we value very highly on all of the forums and subforums at MEF.

I think I can get info and good conversations somewhere else. Thank you.
            You certainly can... it is called the "Beginners/Hobbyists" forum moderated by Terry (big_tee). Don't let the name throw you off... Terry has wound hundreds of pickups and sold quite a few yet he doesn't usually play in the "big boys' sandbox."

If it was up to me I'd drop the "Beginners" from the name of Terry's forum and add "Professional" to the "Pickup Makers" forum name to clarify things.

Steve A.

EDIT Magnet strength was mentioned in Posts #28 & 31. Many if not most of the professional boutique winders degauss their magnets to meet the needs of a particular customer for custom winds. Has this been part of your 20 experiments?

Using the Google Search "site:" tag is handy for finding hits here, like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dega...spv=1&ie=UTF-8

Code:
             degauss magnets site:music-electronics-forum.com
            Here are 2 threads that came up:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ad.php?t=33494

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ad.php?t=18716
            Last edited by Steve A.; 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM.
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post

EDIT Magnet strength was mentioned in Posts #28 & 31. Many if not most of the professional boutique winders degauss their magnets to meet the needs of a particular customer for custom winds. Has this been part of your 20 experiments?

Using the Google Search "site:" tag is handy for finding hits here, like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dega...spv=1&ie=UTF-8

Code:
               degauss magnets site:music-electronics-forum.com
              Here are 2 threads that came up:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ad.php?t=33494

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ad.php?t=18716
              Ok. Thanks.

Yes I tried different magnet strength on '51 type PU. But I always ended "full strength", what I could get with a wise and neodymes. Perhaps on guitar degaussing has more use.

For example I make more tests with a SPB-1 (Duncan) as guinea pig. I have a watchmakers degaussing machine and magnetometer. With them I get Alnico 5 rod from ca. 1000 to 150 Gs. Tried different turns and magnet strength. And ended full strength mags and ca. 11 kΩ. Thats what I use now on my post '57 PB.

What I noticed that original vintage 7ender PUs have surprisingly "right" values (I have measured for example a '56 PB, '65 PB, '73 JB and several other new PUs as a reference ).
              Last edited by okabass; 07-08-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I liked this thread much better when it was closed.
                I guess DS opened it back up.
                This horse has been well beaten!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	1
Size:	786.3 KB
ID:	850088
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  I liked this thread much better when it was closed.
                  I guess DS opened it back up.
                  This horse has been well beaten!
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]49648[/ATTACH]
                  When I closed it the second page disappeared... "Holy Shit, what did I do?!?"

Let me try again...

Steve A.

P.S. Hmmm... I first closed the thread on Page 2. So I guess that threads respond differently when closed on a page other than Page 1. Mystery solved?
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                  X