Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just attended the Jason Lollar pickup winding class.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be hard on me one on one.
    20 beginners, and some with no soldering or tool skills would be tough.
    Glad you're up to it, I'll stick to my retirement!
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-28-2018, 02:30 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've done some teaching including soldering to beginners and it can be a killer at the end of a long day when somebody's guitar isn't working as it should and they're flying out the first thing the next morning. I had to take one fellow's guitar home and rewire it from scratch over night and then ship it to him FedEx overnight to catch his flight from NY back to Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
        the guy from Utah- cant recall your name but yeah we talked a number of times. Everyone dont get excited! I have been teaching at Roberto Venn hands on pickup making 2 X a year for about 10 years with a typical class size of 20. I do it as a favour to William Eaton and all the people that work there I have known for some time. I like to go hiking out in the desert so sometimes I take an extra couple days to do that. Its alot of work, imagine teaching 20 people to make a humbucker and a strat pickup including putting the bobbin together in about 12 to 14 hours of class time. Often people who have never soldered and certainly most having not hand wound a coil before. Its pretty stressful. There is no time to take a breather and its 100 miles an hour from the time you start to the end- I often blow my voice out too. Point is Im not all hyped to do it more often than I do!
        Yes many figure it out on your own but it will take alot longer to get to the point you would be at after taking a class. we do get people in that have been winding for some time and have had people come from as far as japan. Just the two hour tech session at the end is something you wont get anywhere else although alot of it goes over most of the students heads anyway and they will only remember it later when they stumble onto it on thier own. " OH thats what he was talking about" Anyway happy to have seen you there! that was a pretty good class with very few big mistakes. 115 degrees that thursday was insane, 90 degrees and raining was bad enough!
        Point is 2 X a year is enough for me, I would go nuts doing it more often HA!
        Jason Lollar

I am Mike. The guy from Utah who has painted over 400 electric guitars and is currently building a Torres style classical guitar. I only noticed a couple guy's having small problems in the class, but they finished their pickups and they worked. It was a great class for me. Thanks again for doing it. It got me jump started into actually making pickups and knowing far more about pickup design than I knew before. I am more interested in designing some pickups for some cigar box guitars I will make soon. The cigar box world is more anything goes, so that will free me up design wise. However I think the best sounding pickups I have ever used or heard are vintage pickups or pickups based on vintage designs that have been around for 50 plus years. Most guy's use too low of output pickups for the cigar box guitar stuff, so I will make more standard style output pickups.

Comment

This Friday I stopped by a very high rated sewing machine repair business. I talked to the owner and told him what I was looking for to build a guitar pickup winder. I showed him a picture I took of Lollar's winder. The owner told me he did not have a good vintage motor in right now because he has been selling them for scrap since no one comes in asking for them except guy's who tie fly fishing lures. He told me he will get me the parts I need when the right machine comes in that the owner does not want to spend the money on to fix. He said usually the motors are good on the old machines that need repair.

Comment

you can buy those all day long cheap on ebay brand new https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Amps-HOME....c100290.m3507

same old design with the felt oil pads for the bearings, comes with drive belt and speed control.

Comment

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
              you can buy those all day long cheap on ebay brand new https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Amps-HOME....c100290.m3507

same old design with the felt oil pads for the bearings, comes with drive belt and speed control.
              Thanks for that link! Never seen an eBay auction for that item before. It is cool you can buy those parts cheap.

Used sewing machines here sell for higher prices. The Utah ladies value good old sewing machines that work great.

The guy I talked to at the sewing machine repair business said he would give me the parts I needed for free! That is way too nice and I will pay him for them. I have to buy the guy lunch for a couple of days at least! I wanted some of the other parts off of the sewing machine also.

Comment

Originally posted by glaze View Post
                Jason Lollar

I am Mike. The guy from Utah who has painted over 400 electric guitars and is currently building a Torres style classical guitar. I only noticed a couple guy's having small problems in the class, but they finished their pickups and they worked. It was a great class for me. Thanks again for doing it. It got me jump started into actually making pickups and knowing far more about pickup design than I knew before. I am more interested in designing some pickups for some cigar box guitars I will make soon. The cigar box world is more anything goes, so that will free me up design wise. However I think the best sounding pickups I have ever used or heard are vintage pickups or pickups based on vintage designs that have been around for 50 plus years. Most guy's use too low of output pickups for the cigar box guitar stuff, so I will make more standard style output pickups.
                I'm a Utah luthier as well. I went to the November 2017 winding class. Are you the Mike that was up in Ogden? I'd like to talk shop with you sometime.

Rob

Comment

Rob

I live in Utah County. Send me your contact info in a private message. I would like to talk shop with you.

Allot of people are friends in the guitar business. I personally know many people in this business across the country. I really respect and admire certain people in this business for what they do and how they treat customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    FWIW Jason Lollar is a member here. He use to be SN Jason Lollar but changed that in 2015 to Lollar Jason (probably because brand recognition is his last name?). He doesn't post a lot, but he's around (600+ posts since 2006 but his last visit was only four days ago). .
                    Not only that, but he's a founding member of the Pickups Maker's Forum. He and I started the original version of this forum back in 1999, in another location.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                      Not only that, but he's a founding member of the Pickups Maker's Forum. He and I started the original version of this forum back in 1999, in another location.
                      Not many of us left from there these days! I'm glad I was able to convince Tboy to host it here when that one was going away. Thanks again Tboy!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post

I did not know you and Jason started the original version of this forum. Interesting. I actually have spoke with you on the phone probably 15 years ago. I did have you rewind a pickup for me also Wolfe.

I have also bought my first Lollar pickup which was a bridge P-90. I did not have a guitar with a P-90 in it, but I have owned guitars with P-90's in the past. I have been more of a Strat single coil and humbucker
                        player.

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
                          I'm glad I was able to convince Tboy to host it here when that one was going away.
                          Hmmm. Ya don't say.

He didn't tell you when he made you moderator, either, I suppose.

PMF members say that I did my best moderating during that first year while unaware of my title.

Thing is, PMF was a good idea whose time had come.

The only thing more powerful is a bad idea whose time has come.
                          He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Doc, good to see ya! It's been so long, I was worried you had retired to Tierra del Fuego or something.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrangelove View Post
                              Hmmm. Ya don't say.

He didn't tell you when he made you moderator, either, I suppose.

PMF members say that I did my best moderating during that first year while unaware of my title.

Thing is, PMF was a good idea whose time had come.

The only thing more powerful is a bad idea whose time has come.
                              Yeah he didn't tell me he had made a moderator either. At least we have had a place to come together to talk about pickups all these years. No place is perfect.

Greg

Comment

I would trust his instruction 100%. Jason Lollar is the reason I became involved in pickup winding after I read his book years ago - came up with my own winder and methods to hand-wind pickups. My main business is re-winding Fender pickups that are broken. I use a lot of his suggestions and instructions revealed in the book, and after 10+ years I have developed my own machine and unique methods/techniques to wind pickups. It just takes experience and patience, that I've come to call "want-to" on your road to becoming a proficient winder.

Comment

Working...
                                X