No announcement yet.

Tweed Tremolux in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't let that worry you. iTunes for pC is also downloadable from the Apple website. It works almost as well on a pC as it does on a mac ;-)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

To slow your trem down (should you still want to) I'd replace the 100K
      resistor with something bigger, maybe 1M ? My speed pot is 4M (well
      it's supposed to be).

Any chance of posting your clip in some form I can read, like mp3 ?

Paul P

Comment

.mp3? shouldn't be a problem. I'll get a man on it right away (might be tomorrow tho' - gotta go back to work today)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

.mp3 file

I shortened the clip to take out the bit which was a really embarrasing lack of co-ordination
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey, your tremolo sounds really nice.

(I guess it should coming from something called a Tremolux ).

Was that the slowest setting ? Certainly a useable speed.

Paul P

Comment

If I could get it slower still overall, so that it slowed down a bit more on the slowest setting and on the fastest setting, that would be good. At the moment it is wayyy to fast on the fastest setting

Comment

Originally posted by Paul P View Post
                To slow your trem down (should you still want to) I'd replace the 100K
                resistor with something bigger, maybe 1M ? My speed pot is 4M (well
                it's supposed to be).

Any chance of posting your clip in some form I can read, like mp3 ?

Paul P
                Thanks Paul P I've just clicked! Of course! Its so obvious to me now that the range of the trem speed is dependent on the range of the speed pot! :-0 Duh - Why didn't I think of that before? (Takes me a while but I get there). So I will fiddle around with the tapering resistor.

I think I'll start with a small change tho'. I'm thinking that whereas the circuit calls for a 2M pot with 100k taper resistor, since I have the pot wired as 2M5, then I should try maybe 120k-130k taper resistor to keep the change in proportion.
                Last edited by tubeswell; 05-20-2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Tubes, in an oscilator, you can change the speed with several parameters, the cap can be changed too.

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
                    Tubes, in an oscilator, you can change the speed with several parameters, the cap can be changed too.
                    Oh Okay - which cap would that be? There is a .03uF coupling cap from the plate of one of the triodes, and .01uF cap in series with this leading to a 1M to the cathode of that same triode, and then another .01uF cap after that leading into the grid of that same triode and a .1uF cap in series with a 1M resistor going to the depth pot. Oops, I think I've just spotted an error in something I did.

Comment

The two .01/400 or .03/400 are both in the local negative feedback loop, and both can change your speed. Changing the 1meg should also change things.

Comment

Thanks again Satamax

I just realised before that I hadn't installed the 1M in series with the depth pot input (- dunno how I missed that? probably where its kind of hidden next to the 0.1uF in the layout digram - pays to double check the schematic aye?), so I fixed it and at the same time changed the taper resistor on the speed pot to 120k. Now the trem does not race away on me. I'll bear those other tweeks in mind.

On another note (s to speak) at the moment the output tubes are biased to deliver 22.5mA, which is probably about ballpark. I have a few unwanted vibrations to sort out in the chassis/cab, some of which should go when I cover the cab with tweedy fabric (wrap-around between the chassis and cab).

I did another .mp3 file to see how the trem sound had progressed. Excuse the lack of inspired playing - still suffering the after effects of last night's encounter with too many volts. I did the 'lead' with a 'shorting lead' across the inputs of the two input stages, which makes it slightly thicker sounding I think. I still don't quite know how to set up the output stage for better saturation without overbiasing it. Any ideas?

Cheers
                        Attached Files

Comment

slight variation yet again

Okay - was bored this afternoon and chucked in an Alnico Speaker out of one of my other amps and a 12AX7 in V1 just for the hell of it. This is the 'nother soundbyte attached.

I like the way the Alnico enriches the sound and gives a slightly better freq response than the (Greenback wannabe clone) thingy (that just doesn't make the grade) that I had in there before. I also like the slightly thicker timbre from the 12AX7 in V1, but I might hunt around for a better-yet NOS specimen. This offers the potential for increased voltage leading through to the output tube grids. I tried a NOS 5751 in V1 and that was also good - a bit creamier and more quack and nearly as much gain to the average non-discerning ear.
                          Attached Files

Comment

sounds awesome...

wish i builded the REVIBE instead of the Reverb Unit to have this nice waving tremolo.

but, well, guess i'll have to build a tremolux now :mrgreen:
                            Watch mi BLOG with DIY Tube amps and boutique effects: www.richon-caster.blogspot.com

Comment

Sounds great tubeswell.

You wrote :

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                              I did the 'lead' with a 'shorting lead' across the inputs of the two
                              input stages, which makes it slightly thicker sounding I think.
                              I could kiss you . I decided a while back, mostly for technical reasons,
                              to put my reverb on the 'normal' channel, leaving the tremolo on the
                              'vibrato' channel. Sort of a trade off, maybe not the greatest, but I was
                              pretty happy with the options. Then I read your bit about putting a lead
                              across the inputs and wondered, what if I jumpered my two channels
                              together, could I get reverb on channel two ?

Yes !!

With the guitar plugged into the 'high' jack of the vibrato channel I ran a
                              jumper from the 'low' jack of the vibrato channel into the 'high' jack of the
                              normal channel and I have both tremolo and reverb ! This is fantastic !

Thanks tubeswell !

Paul P

Comment

Working...
                              X