TNT brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNT brand?

I have a couple of used TNT "The New Tube" branded tubes. One 12Ax7A and one 6V6. Anyone know anything about them?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Aren't they just a reseller of the usual makes?
    newtube.com
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I saw the site, but the ones I have "look" old. Has this company been around a long time?
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

26years they say.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sometimes the original markings are still visible, but otherwise, we can often recognize visually the internal structure as one brand or another.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Put up some nice pictures of your tubes... that said, most of the "Great Brands" shut down production in the 80s, so even 26 years is pushing it...

One off topic point, though - I'm glad g1 mentioned the actual web page. Go Googling "the new tube" for a good time. Just don't click on anything!

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Nice links.
              I´m quite clautrophobic so in general feel uncomfortable in Metro trains, but the London Tube makes me feel *specially* bad.

Guess that´s because they were designed with double use in mind: transportation and bomb shelters, so many run specially deep and tunnels are reinforced with tight fitting iron arcs, trains have more curved than usual roofs for an even tighter fit.
              Oh well.

PS: not sure about new line construction, if any at all.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Nice links.
                I´m quite clautrophobic so in general feel uncomfortable in Metro trains, but the London Tube makes me feel *specially* bad.
                I'd have felt lucky to get links to those...

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                  I have a couple of used TNT "The New Tube" branded tubes. One 12Ax7A and one 6V6. Anyone know anything about them?
                  No big deal Randall, TNT was another "me too" tube reseller, trying to follow in the steps of Groove (and Ruby and AudioGlassics and .... ). Started mid 80's, by Dennis Kager in NJ, about the time his Sundown amp line was in business. All the TNT's I've seen were China made cheapo 6L6 and 12AX7. If they were subject to special testing I'm unaware of it. Later on Dennis teamed up with another top tech Joe Naylor and started the Reverend line of amps and guitars. The amp line didn't last long but the guitars still going strong. He's also famous as an Ampeg design engineer, responsible for the scroll-headstock Ampeg bass from the mid 60's. Some old photos show Rick Danko playing one.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Speaking of "New Tubes" (we still call them valves in Aust. ) I remember reading this some time ago... anyone bump into any ?

Liz Hare and her son have formed RCH labs with the purchase of the old RCA tube factory in Mound House Nevada
                    (along with the original designs) and is now making new tubes from the old designs but with modern improvements
                    like laser cutters to make them even better and more reliable.
                    Products ? RCH LABS

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                      Speaking of "New Tubes" (we still call them valves in Aust. ) I remember reading this some time ago... anyone bump into any ? Products ? RCH LABS
                      Yes that story passed around some 5+ years ago. They claimed to be preparing to make 6L6's which would sell to hi fi boo-tiki big spenders for some $200 apiece. If anything really came of it we'd have known by now. The big clue it was a farce is in the company name, and second clue in their location. "RCH" has a (ahemmm...) "special" meaning to old school engineers and machinists. And the location was the old Red Light district near government offices in Carson City, Nevada. Just a couple old hoes, trying to scratch up some easy money, wink wink .

Comment

I'm sure us "Auzzies" have names for these too but I'll try and keep it nice
                        Just found this... from 2014!
                        I don't think half a dozen tubes on a pillow constitutes RCA's resurrection.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                          I'm sure us "Auzzies" have names for these too but I'll try and keep it nice
                          Just found this... from 2014!
                          I don't think half a dozen tubes on a pillow constitutes RCA's resurrection.
                          "Very special metallic alloy for the filaments." Aren't ALL alloys metallic?

"This alloy is a very good conductor for the acoustic signal." Yes, I expect anyone would be hard put to find a better acoustic conductor than pure tungsten. OTOH why the hell does the FILAMENT have to have any special acoustic qualities? I smell a big load of Bee Esssssss......

Look carefully on that pillow, maybe you'll see some red hairs, very narrow diameter ones, harvested from - guess where? That's the RCH I'm talkin' about. What happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas. < note winky eye smiley thing.

Comment

Somebody should just blatantly do it-- make a tube brand called "Snake Oil" tubes.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                              Somebody should just blatantly do it-- make a tube brand called "Snake Oil" tubes.
                              I like that, the golden ears will throw down beaucoup bucks! Price 'em in bitcoin, you'll collect heaps.

Still having a laugh at the "new Telefunken" in Connecticut, liquid nitro dipping JJ's and printing Telefunken on them. It aligns the molecules, dont'cha know? I'll bet it does! Then, what happens when the tubes heat up ? ? ? The only thing they have going for them is JJ's quality control seems to have gotten better in recent years. Cryo treatment's not enough to pay 4x as much for them, sorry Contelefunken, not buying it.

Comment

Working...
                              X