Matsumoku OH-450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matsumoku OH-450

I got the request to recreate the complete electronics for a Vantage (matsumoku built) VP795. The pickups have been lost through various modifications over the year and the owner wants it restored to as close to original specs. I have been searching high and low for the pickup specs for this one. They are labeled OH-450 or #450, described as "Custom engineered", sometimes also as "hot" but I cannot find anything else about those pickups apart from them being four wire pickups as the guitar has coil tap and phase switch. So if anyone has more detailed info, DCR, magnet type etc, then I would really appreciate that input as I right now have no info at all to go with.

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
    I got the request to recreate the complete electronics for a Vantage (matsumoku built) VP795. The pickups have been lost through various modifications over the year and the owner wants it restored to as close to original specs. I have been searching high and low for the pickup specs for this one. They are labeled OH-450 or #450, described as "Custom engineered", sometimes also as "hot" but I cannot find anything else about those pickups apart from them being four wire pickups as the guitar has coil tap and phase switch. So if anyone has more detailed info, DCR, magnet type etc, then I would really appreciate that input as I right now have no info at all to go with.
    Hejsan Peter!

I have Vantage like that one, only with a set neck. Excellent-sounding instrument. I use it as testbed for p'ups, as the p'up placement is the same as in Gibsons from early '50s. In the provided link you'll find pretty detailed info and pictures.

Vantage VP-795 - Vantage Guitars MIJ

Both p'ups were the same, 2x5,000 turns of AWG#43 SPN, standard-size ceramic magnets, brass, short-legged baseplates, 50mm polepiece spread. The tone was not something to write home about, mind you.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 07-22-2017, 02:07 PM.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Great info my friend. The customer has a set of vintage Super Distortion in there now, but really wants me to return the instrument to as near as possible to original so "good tone" is not the primary issue here.

Comment

Working...
      X