Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between 2 x EL84 and 4 x EL84 board architecture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 2 x EL84 and 4 x EL84 board architecture?

So I picked up a couple of these THD chassis. One was a 2 x EL84 model complete except it had an Australian PT. I swapped in another PT (actually one from a 30 watt/ 4 x EL84) and it's working fine. The other is a 30 watt/ 4 x EL84 has everything but the board. They look virtually the same layout wise.... all the controls, the front panel is exactly the same, wiring dress, etc... except one has two EL84s and one has four EL84s. And the transformers of course are slightly larger. My question is... since these amps seem to be identical except for the number of output tubes, what would be different in the board. Are the other two tubes just paralleled off of the phase inverter? I don't have a schematic.

They may well be driven in parallel off the PI. The output transformer will have about half the impedance for the 4 x EL84 version.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

they are typically driven in parallel, though the grid load resistors might differ in value by 2x. at least they should.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Also the dropper resistance (if there is one) to the screen supply node ought to be halved.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Makes sense. I also found a schematic! Well a layout anyway....
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	846082

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
            ...though the grid load resistors might differ in value by 2x. at least they should.
            Yet, in guitar amps they usually don't. YMMV. But this commonality, I think, is definitely one of the reasons players tout the tone of four tube amps or two tube amps, respectively, as being notably different and/or preferred with models that come in both incarnations. Marshalls being the most recognizable example.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
              They may well be driven in parallel off the PI. The output transformer will have about half the impedance for the 4 x EL84 version.
              And main transformer is dimensioned for twice much secondary current.
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                And main transformer is dimensioned for twice much secondary current.
                Understood. The iron is for the 36 watt amp. The whole chassis is complete except for the board. It wasn't pulled.... just never installed. It's all new stuff. I used a PT for a 36 watt amp to replace the Australian one on the 18 watt chassis because I got it for $5. Sounds fine to my ears. Guess it's overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  Yet, in guitar amps they usually don't. YMMV. But this commonality, I think, is definitely one of the reasons players tout the tone of four tube amps or two tube amps, respectively, as being notably different and/or preferred with models that come in both incarnations. Marshalls being the most recognizable example.
                  Looking at the Fenders, I think they didn't bother in the Tweed era but they did bother in the SF era. So depending on time frame, Fender was pretty good about adjusting grid loads. I can't say why Marshall wasn't ... maybe they were just dummies who copied old Fenders and got lucky, lol.

Code:
                  Amp               Tube Compliment     Grid Load
                  Tweed
                  5E8-A             1 pair 6L6          220k
                  5F8               2 pair 6L6          220k

SF
                  AA371 Bassman     1 pair 6L6          100k
                  Bassman 135       2 pair 6L6          68k
                  AA769 Twin Reverb 2 pair 6L6          68k
                  Super Twin Reverb 3 pair 6L6          33k

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                    Looking at the Fenders, I think they didn't bother in the Tweed era but they did bother in the SF era. So depending on time frame, Fender was pretty good about adjusting grid loads. I can't say why Marshall wasn't ... maybe they were just dummies who copied old Fenders and got lucky, lol.

Code:
                    Amp               Tube Compliment     Grid Load
                    Tweed
                    5E8-A             1 pair 6L6          220k
                    5F8               2 pair 6L6          220k

SF
                    AA371 Bassman     1 pair 6L6          100k
                    Bassman 135       2 pair 6L6          68k
                    AA769 Twin Reverb 2 pair 6L6          68k
                    Super Twin Reverb 3 pair 6L6          33k

Yep. That really illustrates my point. Thank you It's worth noting that the SF amps were poorly received. Albeit for other reasons. But laymen don't differentiate WRT details most often. I won't argue that the grid load should be adjusted for the driven load. I completely agree. I've even said as much already. I was only noting that there are some coveted designs that failed to recognize this design element and the resulting manifestation of "improper" design has been well received tonally by players. Not sure how much more discussion that deserves, but it is something that could go unnoticed (or at least unmentioned otherwise).
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Note that in the Peavey Classic 30 they run two EL84 tubes with screen resistors and two without.

Comment

Originally posted by cjenrick View Post
                        Note that in the Peavey Classic 30 they run two EL84 tubes with screen resistors and two without.
                        Yes, that's a strange thing. Could it be just a mistake? Screen resistors protect screens from overheating and act as 'screen stoppers' to improve stability.

Doesn't make sense to only protect one of the pair from overheating.

I guess if you stabilize one tube of a parallel pair it would help to stabilize overall - but just to save the cost of two resistors?

It would also have some effect on the tone by making the tube with the screen resistor reach grid limited clipping before its companion.

Comment

that sure is odd. it makes me wonder whether they were trying to circumvent the simul-class patent when they thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Irving View Post
                            Yes, that's a strange thing. Could it be just a mistake? Screen resistors protect screens from overheating and act as 'screen stoppers' to improve stability.

Doesn't make sense to only protect one of the pair from overheating.

I guess if you stabilize one tube of a parallel pair it would help to stabilize overall - but just to save the cost of two resistors?

It would also have some effect on the tone by making the tube with the screen resistor reach grid limited clipping before its companion.

I've seen the same thing in a few different amps and wondered why too. Marshall JVM205 springs to mind. If it was for tonality and you wanted safety wouldn't you just use sensibly sized but different valued resistors?
                            Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I've seen amps with no screen resistors, screen R's on some but not all the power tubes, and screen R's on all power tubes.
                              I thought it was basically an evolution but I could be wrong.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                              X