Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65 Gibson SG jr needs a new bridge. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kleuck View Post
    For me, compensated wraps are enough to have a well tuned guitar.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15157[/ATTACH]
    Unless you have perfect pitch. I can hear it.

A fixed compensation bridge only works properly with one set gauge of strings and at a set action.

Those bridges are junk. It was Gibson's way to not have to spend money on a proper bridge. Notice they put them on the cheap guitars. It's a tailpiece, it isn't even a bridge.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Unless you have perfect pitch. I can hear it.

A fixed compensation bridge only works properly with one set gauge of strings and at a set action.

Those bridges are junk. It was Gibson's way to not have to spend money on a proper bridge. Notice they put them on the cheap guitars. It's a tailpiece, it isn't even a bridge.
      I always use the same set and action ; anyway i can't stand anymore the sound of brass or zinc TOM's (or wraps for thaht matter) -unless there’s a Bigsby or an aluminium stop-bar on the guitar- i find them too boomy, dull and compressed, where an aluminium wrap gives this awesome acoustic feeling (and is much more elegant and comfortable i think)
      Matter of taste of course.
      I would be glad though to test an adjustable & aluminium wrap, if you can provide me a link for a good one, i would be happy

Edit : ho, i understand what you mean, and you're right, the Faber seems to be intended for 10-46 and medium to low action, where with my 9-42 / low action it is not that perfect, but what the hell, if you can't stand this little imperfection in tuning, you can't play any acoustic guitar neither ?

Edit² : found one (and only) did you try this one ? http://www.stewmac.com/?PCR=1%3A100%...s&currencyid=7

Edit3 : actually, some comments do not help : "-there is slop in the saddle contact and makes it prone to unwanted vibration and buzzes"
      Last edited by kleuck; 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I've been playing several PRS SE guitars the past few years as my main squeeze and they all have "modern" compensated wraparound bridges. As someone else mentioned if you string the guitar with a 10-46 set they are pretty much in tune- at least good enough for rock and roll.

It is a very light bridge, very possibly aluminum (I am not a metallurgist nor do I play one on TV). I'm of the opinion that an adjustable wraparound bridge could reduce the sustain if the individual pieces vibrate at all.

I just ran across an interesting article that points out that the total string length (from ball end to tuner*) will determine the "feel" when you are bending notes:

STRING TENSION AND TUNING by Ian Noycel

A string with a total distance that is shorter will feel stiffer when you bend the notes. Which is not necessarily a bad thing- I think that a longer string that is easier to bend might be kind of "squishy". Like comparing a tube rectifier to a solid state rectifier in a guitar amp. I think a wraparound bridge can make your bends more responsive to your "finger english" since you are not spreading the tension from your fingers across a longer length.

Yes, I know all of that sounds crazy- the article explains it much better than I can.

Strange but true: even a guitar that is intonated perfectly will sound a little bit out of tune as you play different chords in different keys up and down the fretboard. That is because the famous "well-tempered scale" is not perfect- it is a compromise to allow all 12 diatonic scales to coexist. Good guitarists compensate for this, sometimes by minor adjustments of the tuning keys for a particular song but also by the pressure they use fretting each string. (If one note is slightly flat due to differences between the well-tempered scale and what is called "just intonation" they will bend it slightly to put it in tune.)

"Just intonation" is based on the mathematical ratios between the 7 notes. For more information here is a link to the entry in Wikipedia:

Just Intonation

Steve Ahola

P.S. I attached a picture of the new Vox guitars being handmade in Novato, CA. The bridge mounts to a single set of posts like a wraparound bridge but is adjustable like a tune-a-matic. A friend played one and they are very impressive (more sustain than any guitar he has ever played). But I think that they would sustain even better if it was a true non-adjustable wraparound bridge.

* I am not sure how strings going through the body fit this equation. If there is a sharp bend before they enter the body, I doubt if much tension will be transferred to the length of string going through the body, since that bend is going to offer some resistance. BTW Jimi Hendrix stringing up his Strat backwards would have a big influence on the "feel" of bending strings. The top strings would feel stiffer when bending them (as per the article) but would also be less squishy and more responsive (my own take on things).
        Attached Files
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Just a tip for using those bridges with that trem: wrap the low E string around the bridge and don't run it to the trem. The thing will never stay in tune with all six strings on the trem and now the bridge won't move every time you touch the bar.
          My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
          X