field recording recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• field recording recommendations?

I received a $$$ gift card for Sweetwater (as a retirement gift from my cow orkers) and I'm thinking of spending it on some field recording gear. I haven't done any field recording since ~1977, but I figure a basic rig would be
    - recorder
    - stereo mic pair
    - shotgun mic
    - contact/piezo mic

I'm thinking the TASCAM DR-100mkIII can handle the first two well enough, but I'm clueless about specialty mics. Any thoughts?

TASCAM DR-100mkIII
    Murky Mark, Minister of Musical Mischief
    http://www.harmonicappliances.com/

Originally posted by Mark Lavelle View Post
    I received a $$$ gift card for Sweetwater (as a retirement gift from my cow orkers) and I'm thinking of spending it on some field recording gear.
    When out in the field I would suggest that you do not ork any cows... they don't like it one bit and besides it is illegal in seven states!

I haven't done any field recording since ~1977, but I figure a basic rig would be
    - recorder
    - stereo mic pair
    - shotgun mic
    - contact/piezo mic

I'm thinking the TASCAM DR-100mkIII can handle the first two well enough, but I'm clueless about specialty mics. Any thoughts?
    Good choice on the TASCAM! I got the DR-100's li'l brother (the DR-40) a few years ago and it has some great features, like recording a second "safety" pair of audio tracks at lower volume level in case your main tracks exceed 0dB.

As for external mics, Schoepes is highly rated but very expensive...

Home - SCHOEPS.de

For stealth tapers on a budget (like me!) Core Sound filled the bill....

Core Sound — Products

I got their Low Cost Stealthy Mics to go with my M-Audio MicroTrack II 10 years ago and was very pleased with the results.

Their higher end mics with DPA 4060/4061 capsules are supposed to be top-notch.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Best wishes for your retirement!

Click image for larger version

Name:	LCB1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	845276
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG11A.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	845277
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

You know the worst thing about orking a cow? You have to walk all the way around to the front to kiss them when you are done.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
        When out in the field I would suggest that you do not ork any cows... they don't like it one bit and besides it is illegal in seven states!
        That's why I had to retire!

As for external mics, Schoepes is highly rated but very expensive...
        Very!

For stealth tapers on a budget (like me!) Core Sound filled the bill....
        [...]
        Their higher end mics with DPA 4060/4061 capsules are supposed to be top-notch.
        Not really interested in stealth but I'd definitely buy the high end stereo set if I had an extra $1K...

It looks like the really good shotguns are all in the $1k range, too, so I guess I'll just play with the naked recorder until some more money falls out of the sky.

P.S. Best wishes for your retirement!
        Thanks, heaps -- it's good to be doing more of what I want!

Comment

TASCAM is a top-notch company... I'll be taking my 3 year old DR-40 out for its first live band recordings tomorrow night so I went to their site to dl the manual and saw that they have updated the firmware several times already, fixing minor bugs and expanding microSD card capacity to 128GB!
          I have a whole shitload of digital products that never received a single update. Why should a company have their techs work on firmware updates for older products when they stand to make a lot more money by selling new products to their existing customers?
          ANSWER: Perhaps because they view their customer base as being an asset and not a liability... Or as suckers to con into buying their "new improved" version with useless bells and whistles that most of us don't need.

Steve A.
          Last edited by Steve A.; 04-19-2017, 07:52 PM.
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
            TASCAM is a top-notch company [...]

I have a whole shitload of digital products that never received a single update. Why should a company have their techs work on firmware updates for older products when they stand to make a lot more money by selling new products to their existing customers?
            Yeah, I've never been seriously disappointed by TASCAM, and that's one of the reasons why. I'm also happy to report that Logitech (my employer for a few more weeks) and many other companies have made firmware upgradability a religion over the last few years.

As a negative example, I was trying to use a PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL and found that the Windows drivers hadn't been updated in over 3 years! That's lame beyond description...

As for the DR-100mkIII: Not an elegant UI, but usable. There are some things that seem obvious but don't work (playing a file) and other quirks, but I'm willing to RTFM for something like this.

Still looking for pointers on shotgun mics, if anyone has knowledge...

Comment

Could you get a small diaphragm condenser and add a tube with sound deadening? It could be a fun experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                Could you get a small diaphragm condenser and add a tube with sound deadening? It could be a fun experiment.
                Q. How do shotgun mics work? |
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Good shotgun article.

I ended up going with a Rode NTG4, mainly because it's the best I found for less than $400 and I wanted to save some $ for windscreening accessories (e.g., Blimp). It's great outdoors when you can get relatively close to the sound source, but hardly helps for birds tens of feet away (especially if there's much wind or traffic noise).

The mics on the DR-100mkIII seem good enough for anything indoors, but pretty sensitive to wind.

This week I used a pair of SM57s to record trains with good results, but the beatings experiments will continue until morale improves...

Comment

There was a fun article on building a shotgun mic in Popular Electronics magazine 50 some years ago. But here is an updated article that even has a link to the original magazine project.

"Shotgun" Directional Microphone
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X