Hilgen Victor 2522 Tube Order Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilgen Victor 2522 Tube Order Question

Can anyone tell me the order of the pre-amp tubes in a Hilgen Victor 2522. I have (2) 12AU7A, (1) 7199, (1) 12AX7.

I think the order is (left to right looking at the top of the tube sockets) 12AX7, 7199, 12AU7A, 12AU7A -> OUTPUT TUBES

Thank you. Mark

Could also use a schematic if anyone has one they can point me to. Thank you.

Comment

Maybe this link can help you out there : Hilgen Victor Model R2522 Amplifier | MyRareGuitars.com

Comment

I have read that page which states...

The Hilgen “Victor” Model R2522. For the tube geeks among us, this starts with a 5AR4 rectifier before running into a couple of 12AX7s for preamp and reverb send duties. Then comes the only expensive and hard to find (although not impossible) tube—a 7199 for ‘verb recovery. From the factory, it came with a 12AU7 for phase inverter, which I switched out to a 12AY7 for a little more drive on the output tubes. I tried going up to a 12AX7, but that made for too much gain and resulted in a mushy, compromised output. The 12AY7 gives it more heat than stock, but still retains the crisp, tight, articulate character of the amp, as intended.

Preamp tubes: left to right to output tubes

1 - 12AX7 preamp
        2 - 12AX7 or 12AU7 reverb send
        3 - 7199 reverb return
        4 - 12AU7 phase inverter

If so I guess the order with the tubes I have would be...

12AX7, 12AU7A, 7199, 12AU7A -> OUTPUT TUBES

Looking for confirmation.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
          I have read that page which states...

The Hilgen “Victor” Model R2522. For the tube geeks among us, this starts with a 5AR4 rectifier before running into a couple of 12AX7s for preamp and reverb send duties. Then comes the only expensive and hard to find (although not impossible) tube—a 7199 for ‘verb recovery. From the factory, it came with a 12AU7 for phase inverter, which I switched out to a 12AY7 for a little more drive on the output tubes. I tried going up to a 12AX7, but that made for too much gain and resulted in a mushy, compromised output. The 12AY7 gives it more heat than stock, but still retains the crisp, tight, articulate character of the amp, as intended.

1 - 12AX7 preamp
          2 - 12AX7 or 12AU7 reverb send
          3 - 7199 reverb return
          4 - 12AU7 phase inverter

If so I guess the order with the tubes I have would be...

12AX7, 12AU7A, 7199, 12AU7A -> OUTPUT TUBES

Looking for confirmation.

Thanks, Mark
          Can t help you there on that one buddy , some are qualified here for that , not me!lol

Comment

There is no way to be certain that that is the correct order unless you open the amp up and see which sockets are wired for the phase inverter, reverb recovery, etc.

All but the 7199 use the same pinout, so even if you get it wrong you probably won't do any damage. If you have a voltmeter you could try reading for the filament voltage on the tube sockets. Look for 6.3vac between pins 4 and 5, this will be the socket for the 7199. All the rest should have the 6.3vac between pins 9 and 4/5.

Comment

That should be very helpful! Thanks.

I have a bit to do on this amp which has not been turned on in over 25 years so the next thing I want to do is slowly charge the circuit capacitors. I do not have a variac but was thinking I could do this with a dimmer knob, would that be wrong for some reason?

Comment

misterc57

Do not use a lamp dimmer in an attempt to reform the old capacitors on your amp. A Variac and a lamp dimmer work on different principles.

The Variac is a variable autotransformer that will vary the input voltage while maintaining its sinusoidal wave shape.

A lamp dimmer will change the wave shape thereby reducing the duty cycle of the wave.It is intended for for use with resistive loads ie light bulbs.

The load you are powering is an inductive load, in this case a transformer.A chopped,non-sinusoidal wave such as the one from a lamp dimmer can destroy your power transformer.

SG

Comment

Glad I asked. Thank you!

Comment

I still have no power to this amp (waiting on a variac) but tracing the 6.3vac wires led me to the proper 7199 tube location.

12AX7, 7199, 12AU7A, 12AU7A -> OUTPUT TUBES

Is the reverb cable connected to 7199 suppose to go to the reverb tank input or output? I ask because the way it was connected does not make sense, or maybe the tank is mis-marked.

If interested pictures of the chassis can be seen at

http://noalibirocks.com/000/2522c_1.JPG
                    http://noalibirocks.com/000/2522c_2.JPG
                    http://noalibirocks.com/000/2522c_3.JPG
                    http://noalibirocks.com/000/2522c_4.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
                      Is the reverb cable connected to 7199 suppose to go to the reverb tank input or output? I ask because the way it was connected does not make sense, or maybe the tank is mis-marked.
                      If what the other listing regarding the tube usage is correct, then the return cable should connect to the side of the tank that says output.

Comment

Working...
                      X