newbie here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by workinghard17 View Post
    ...its a gift to my mother on her 62 birthday. she loves listening to old music using that kind of speaker. but sadly her speaker broke. cant play anymore. i love her seeing on her racking chair and taking a nap while listening on her speaker.
    I can totally relate with your mom.
    My next birthday will be number 62.
    I love to nap on my racking chair while listening to old music of my youth.

ONE-two-three, ONE-two-three, ONE-two-three, ONE-and-two-and,
    -rb
    Last edited by rjb; 10-07-2017, 03:45 PM. Reason: Added emphasese
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Great song! Great memories. But I'll reword something I said above to be more inclusive... Our American nostalgia of mom's demographic may not apply.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And it is generational. I am older, my mom listened to "beautiful music" which meant Mantovani, The Melachrino Stings, Perry Como, Andy Williams. And NEVER any louder than the music at the dentists's office.

68? Hell I am 70, retro to our generation is Woodstock. Maybe an 8-track would be nostalgic. I had one in 1969.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It might be easier to to fix the one you have. Do you or anyone you know have a bit of electronics knowledge? What is the make and model number?
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

At 62 I would think a retro table radio (or an actual vintage table radio) is WAAAY too retro.
            Thatīs my point.
            But then, I recognize the language barrier. It's possible that my American reference to her era doesn't apply here.
            Poster is in California.
            Not even in the Mid West where nostalgia might involve banjo, fiddles, or , further East, accordions.
            As in any young State, traditions sonīt go too far back.
            I can totally relate with your mom.
            My next birthday will be number 62.
            I love to nap on my racking chair while listening to old music of my youth.
            Allman Brothers? .... NOW weīre talking.
            And it is generational. I am older, my mom listened to "beautiful music" which meant Mantovani, The Melachrino Stings, Perry Como, Andy Williams. And NEVER any louder than the music at the dentists's office.
            True, but your Mom is a fullgeneration earlier.
            OPīs Mom is younger than you or me.
            I bet some conclusion can be drawn from that but since itīs somewhat depressive I wonīt
            To use some numbers instead of labels: being 62, she was born in 1954, so her "youth" started , say, at 12 or 13 y.o. (anything earlier is "kid stuff" and usually despised after becoming an "adult" at the mature age of 14/15 y.o. ) so we are talking around 1966/1967 and later.
            Now go check your yellowing dog eared Billboard magazines and refresh (because in fact you already know the answers) what Music was popular way back then.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ingles_in_1967

These definitely would have been heard on a home stereo (probably stacked on a milk crate-probably with VU meters on the front ) through twin console speakers capable of stopping your heart. I suppose you could put it all on a table if you had to, but it wasn't a table radio.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Poster is in California.
                But Mom may be from the "old country" (wherever that is).
                Poster does not seem to speak fluent Californian.

[EDIT]
                Here's another thought: Maybe Mom listened to music on *her* mother's (or grandmother's) radio.
                [/EDIT]

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ingles_in_1967
                These definitely would have been heard on a home stereo...
                Maybe in your home, but I definitely remember breakfast accompanied by some of those songs on the kitchen counter "table" radio.

And "Pleasant Valley Sunday" on my kid sister's close-and-play.

-rb
                Last edited by rjb; 10-07-2017, 05:09 PM.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                  "Pleasant Valley Sunday" on my kid sister's close-and-play.
                  The authors of that song (Gerry Goffin & Carole King) lived about 2 miles away from the house where I grew up.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                    The authors of that song (Gerry Goffin & Carole King) lived about 2 miles away from the house where I grew up.
                    Ok... You want a cookie for that?

Just kidding. That's close proximity to genuine greatness If you had met them I would have been serious about the cookie offer.

Comment

Hey, I met Gary US Bonds once, even ran sound for him that gig. That's pretty nostalgic.

I prefer chocolate chip.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That's close proximity to genuine greatness
                        Heck I might have delivered their newspaper. Until I did some research & found they were a piece further down the road (Pleasant Valley Way) beyond the border of my route. I'll take a chocolate chip too, Enzo & me will have a party!

Joe Walsh went to high school in the next town (Montclair), Whoopi Goldberg grew up on t'other side of the hill, John Scher got his start promoting concerts at my high school, but there wasn't a dam' thing going on there until I left town. Squaresville, USA zip code L-seven.

Enough thread hijack-

Now where can we find a nice sort-of hi fi for our new friend workinghard17? Mom might have to settle for some kind of boom box.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Nostalgia (OFF TOPIC)

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                          ... in the Mid West where nostalgia might involve banjo, fiddles, or , further East, accordions.
                          These definitely would have been heard on a home stereo (probably stacked on a milk crate-probably with VU meters on the front ) through twin console speakers capable of stopping your heart.
                          Not everyone in the U.S.A. had cutting-edge stereo systems.

My parents never got rid of the mono Heathkit "Hi-Fi" that my dad built before I was born. It had a single DIY Jensen cabinet and, IIRC, a Lafayette turntable with crystal tone cartridge. When we were kids, my sister and I would make the needle skip dancing the polka to Dad's Whoopee John records. Later on, I think I heard "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" through the tuner approximately a bazillion times- as the NYC "progressive" station played it on the half-hour.

Quality-wise, my high school music system was a step down:
                          A cheap turntable plugged into the AUX channel of the Heathkit TA-17 that Dad & I built together.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1968_catalog_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	847389

But what it lacked in fidelity, it made up in volume.
                          Remember this notice?
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	108508493-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	847390
                          There's nothing quite like "Mississippi Queen" played full blast through a 120W combo amp.

And let's not forget transistor radios. We had one hidden in the scarecrow in the garden. (Some "expert"- probably Readers' Digest- claimed it would fool the birds. Fat chance.) For whatever reason, I specifically recall hoeing corn to "Low Rider" and pruning tomato plants to Jose Feliciano's version of "Light My Fire." Memory is weird.

-rb
                          Last edited by rjb; 10-07-2017, 09:20 PM.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                            But Mom may be from the "old country" (wherever that is).
                            Poster does not seem to speak fluent Californian.

Here's another thought: Maybe Mom listened to music on *her* mother's (or grandmother's) radio.
                            FWIW I am in Argentina, 6000/8000 miles away, and clearly remember 90% songs from that Billboard list, most heard through the radio, or bought at a copule "teen specialized" shops.
                            Even remember when I heard some for the first time, some girls I danced with to that music , birthdays where I either received or gave some of them.
                            Even MY Motherīs dismay when she bought 2 singles for my birthday, following salesmanīs suggestion, one was a Ray Coniff sticky syrupy type which could give you Diabetes and the other ("your kid will certainly LOVE this one") was Nancy Sinatraīs "These boots were made for walking" ... next day they were traded for a Doors LP, donīt remember the name but have the impression of a somewhat violet hued sleeve with black and white pictures.

That much for "not being in the USA" bit
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                              Joe Walsh went to high school in the next town (Montclair),..
                              HA! I met Joe... I'm keeping my cookies.

Comment

Oh, my stereo wasn't cutting edge by a stretch. There were fantastic pieces of ten to fifteen year old used gear that could be found at garage sales and flea markets. I DID have the Marantz stereo (not tubes though) with the Pioneer monitors, but I didn't pay top dollar for it. Some of it stuff people covet now and when I brought it home my mom complained about the "old junk" I was buying.

Comment

Working...
                                X