No announcement yet.

Eds 1275 copy has whacky wiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll check the new vid in a bit. First, I noticed a flaw in my switching idea. The coils that have the ground lifted aren't actually floating. They DO complete a circuit via other components. This is going to cause strange things to happen. It won't work. Floating pickups CAN work, but in this case there are just too many things going on to cover all the bases with only two switches. You should actually trash everything I've sent so far. Since the original Gibson 1275 switch is not available there are only two options. A rotary switch could be used instead of the original style switch or it needs to be a three switch arrangement. The rotary switch wiring would be tricky because, well because it would. The three switch arrangement does have the advantage of independent pickup selection for either neck. I have to admit defeat on making it work with only two standard switches.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

That's ok. :-) Let's go for three then! I can always order one on stewmac or somethin' and the appropriate wires.

Comment

So, where do you want to put the third switch? So I know where to add it in the diagram. It doesn't look like your guitar is routed like the Epi's.

And the new link isn't working for me. But I've been having trouble with IE lately. I'll try again using Chrome tomorrow. Off to get rested for my day job now.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 09-12-2013, 05:49 AM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

May as well be in the Epi location. Looks good to me. I have some monster big drill bits. I can make the accommodations in the body easily.

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazon.../CH_Splash.jpg

Comment

I mean really... looking at that layout... The natural assumption I think... and what would seem more... orderly... would be that the lone toggle nearest the butt of the guitar would be the neck changer (when in fact its the one under the 6'er neck pup for some reason as it is on actual Gibsons and Epi's) and that the other two toggles by the neck pups were the pickup toggles for each neck.

Comment

I guess it depends on how a player uses the guitar. But your ideal makes sense to me too. That's how I'll lay it out then.

Comment

Originally posted by voxeylady View Post
                I mean really... looking at that layout... The natural assumption I think... and what would seem more... orderly... would be that the lone toggle nearest the butt of the guitar would be the neck changer (when in fact its the one under the 6'er neck pup for some reason as it is on actual Gibsons and Epi's) and that the other two toggles by the neck pups were the pickup toggles for each neck.
                That is where Gibson puts it, although on the Jimmy Page model its reversed with the neck selector under the six string. The reason is that you will find that while playing these things you will constantly be accidentally hitting the switch in between the bridges. Not a huge problem when its a pickup selector, big problem when its a neck selector.

Anyway, I've got one of these chinese 1275s as well and need to do a complete rewire. The Switchcraft 4 pole switch used by gibson has been purchased off Ebay and is on its way. All other pieces I should already have. Chuck, if you could sketch up an idiotproof version of the Gibson schematic, it would be appreciated. Specifically what wires go to which poles on the two switches.

Cheers,
                A

Comment

Originally posted by andreww View Post
                  you will find that while playing these things you will constantly be accidentally hitting the switch in between the bridges. Not a huge problem when its a pickup selector, big problem when its a neck selector.
                  A
                  Yes... yes I have lol More so sitting down.. not so much standing up but yeah... I do see the wisdom of it now. :-P

Comment

Here you go! I sketched it a while ago but since I need to log on with a different browser to post images I hadn't gotten to it. The switches are still in the stock positions. If anyone wanted to change to the JP wiring they'll need to get creative.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      Here you go! I sketched it a while ago but since I need to log on with a different browser to post images I hadn't gotten to it. The switches are still in the stock positions. If anyone wanted to change to the JP wiring they'll need to get creative.
                      Thank bud, but that looks to be the Epiphone setup. I'm looking for the gibson setup. I've got this diagram here, but I might need some help figuring out which wire goes where on the actual switches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDS-1275.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	633.8 KB
ID:	831127

Comment

Originally posted by andreww View Post
                        Thank bud, but that looks to be the Epiphone setup. I'm looking for the gibson setup. I've got this diagram here, but I might need some help figuring out which wire goes where on the actual switches.
                        Unless you already have the switches, you aren't likely to find them. The stock Gibson used a custom switch for the pickup control. This was discussed earlier in the thread and I don't have a creative solution for doing the same thing with two stock switches. Apparently no one does since all the copy's have cattywhompus wiring.

Comment

This is the switch I bought.

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!qwFIyPJ-cg+BSNIGyUWM!~~60_57.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	831131

NEW Switchcraft 4 Pole Right Angle Toggle Switch FOR Double Neck Guitars | eBay

I've seen them available from quite a few places but they were always $30 or more with at least another $20 in shipping. This one was reasonable and at least lets me get started on this project.

Comment

And I'd love to see a picture of your guitar. Interested to see which one you got!

Comment

Interesting!!!

I built my own double neck, from 100% mahogany, and the 6 and 12 string necks completely isolated. I have come to realize I now need to add a switch to isolate the necks from each other, so this thread is of great interest to me...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                                Nicely done!!!

I am trying to figure out where the best place to tap into this dual input system...

Name:	Von Herndon Doubleneck Cavity.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	848141

Comment

Working...
                                X