5879 preamp tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5879 preamp tube

I realize this tube is a pentode, if memory serves me correctly, so does that mean other pentode-type preamp tubes will work as substitutes? I just bought about 2,500 NOS tubes of various types, but unfortunately there were no 5879s there. I did manage to get a bunch of classic 12AX7s, 12AT7s and 12AU7s, but nothing of the 5879 variety.

I have a filmosound amplifier that takes a 5879. What are some examples of acceptable substitutes? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

This site lists the EF86 as similar but not identical. It may be necessary to make some changes to the socket or even the components surrounding the tube:
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_5879.html

Comment

It is 5879 or bust, unless you want to change the socket and the circuit around it to voice it for another tube. The EF86 has a lot more gain than the 5879 and is more imcrophonic. There are tons of great quality NOS 5879's around for good prices still.

Greg

Comment

AES has them for $8-9 each

http://www.tubesandmore.com/
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I know they're out there, and what I'll most likely do is stock up on them, but I'm left to wonder why they wouldn't have used a triode like anything in the 12AX7/12AT7/12AU7 family instead of the 5879. I don't hear anything more special about the 5879 than the 12AX7 or any of its other similar family of tubes.

Comment

My Kay 720 uses 5879's, every one I've tried has been microphonic as hell.
            Stop by my web page!

Comment

I've got 5 NOS 5879 tubes in front of me. Two RCA and three GE. Would you care to trade? I'm looking for NOS 12AY7 tubes.

Comment

Working...
              X