Shielded Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielded Cable

What kind of cable are you guys using now that doesn't suck your tone so much ?
    KB

Canare GS-6

Google for Canare GS-6. You'll see it for $0.72 - $0.85/foot. It has low capacitance which is a plus with single coils, and doesn't matter too much
    with the hummers.
    Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
    Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

TBH, I haven't ever had a problem with shielded cable robbing tone. But until recently I always used RG174 which is supposedly 'good'.

But I always thought that RG174 was a little too sensitive to heat and I wanted something with Teflon insulation. I went to an ebay seller and bought this really nifty Mil-spec blue stuff that's Teflon. It's even smaller OD than RG174 but the inner conductor is at least as big...feels like it's bigger. I can't remember if the center conductor is 22 gage or what...but it's right around that. It's a little stiffer than RG174 but still very bendable and it stays where I put it. The shield is braid. Here's a pic...the blue stuff is the shielded cable. All other wire in the amp is either 20ga Teflon or 18ga Teflon (for comparison).

[ATTACH]3691[/ATTACH]
      Last edited by tboy; 12-03-2008, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Oh, 'That' shielded cable...

Inside the chassis, the smallest size is most workable. We use a Quad shield RG174 at work which is more rigid, but excellent against signal ingress. Those small coax cables have low characteristic impedance, but inside a chassis you are at a small fraction of a useble wavelength.
        Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
        Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
        X