Has anyone seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen this?

"Paul Reed Smith Guitars has unveiled a limited run of solid body electrics featuring the new 1957/2008 pickups. PRS acquired exclusive rights to the original pickup wire used in the most revered ‘50s era pickups in 2008, and 1957 was the year the humbucker was first commercially available, giving rise to the name for PRS Guitars’ newest and most exclusive pickup."

I have seen this in a few places around the internet. Exclusive rights to the original pickup wire? How is that possible? The only thing I can think of is that they persuaded the original maker to do an old formula run of plain enamel. Other than that it sounds like 10 pounds of bullshit in a five pound bag.
    www.tonefordays.com

To be frank, they need to do something about their pickups as they're crap.
    Last edited by Spence; 12-16-2008, 09:21 PM.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I believe Mr. Moore is correct. Although I'd defend my McCarty Hollowbody II, PRS (and everyone else) has to come up with some new copy for marketing every year. I think the biggest laugh is from the folks who make HI-FI speaker wire. Every year there's some magnaminous improvement that we should shill out for.
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

exclusive rights

Who had the rights in the first place to give him that???????
        Had an American band sue me once cus they had exclusive rights to something on a guitar that I was using as well. Untill we got to trial date and they said they would settle if I gave them exclusive rights which I didn't have anyway. All fell out of bed then.
        Spence, Just fitted a set of Dragons for a guy in his LP ! only been a week and he want's them out again...

Comment

I haven't played a PRS in years, but when they first started making their own pickups (early 90's) I had one come to me to have them replaced with Duncans. It was a brand new guitar with a Vintage Bass and HFS bridge. They pickups were truly awful. The neck was muffed and muddy and the bridge was toneless and barky (even worse than a Tone Zone).

A set of Alnico II Pros really opened up the tone and made it sound like a nice guitar.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is about PRS guitars. They were kind of cool when they first came out, but I think they are way overrated.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

This clip has someone talking about that wire and i think he says they will use alnico X magnets ???

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpxSRLocqk

Comment

He doesnt have the right to the wire, I know for a fact. Whoever wrote it is talking out his ass trying to come up with marketing lingo. The wire is being made on a machine that was made in 1962 (+/- 2 years) and anyone can order it - Though I wont say where from.

Other wire makers are also getting back into PE again. Elektrisola found some benezene and is making small quantities of min nom again.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                The wire is being made on a machine that was made in 1962 (+/- 2 years) and anyone can order it - Though I wont say where from.
                What a Scrooge ...... I thought this is the season of good will. Well Bar Humbug to ya.

Other wire makers are also getting back into PE again. Elektrisola found some benezene and is making small quantities of min nom again.
                (Pickup winders) 1............(Environment) 0.

"I love the smell of Benzene in the morning"

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                  Who had the rights in the first place to give him that???????
                  Had an American band sue me once cus they had exclusive rights to something on a guitar that I was using as well. Untill we got to trial date and they said they would settle if I gave them exclusive rights which I didn't have anyway. All fell out of bed then.
                  Spence, Just fitted a set of Dragons for a guy in his LP ! only been a week and he want's them out again...
                  Point him in the right direction Jonson and if that fails, show him the way out!
                  sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by greenfingers View Post
                    What a Scrooge ...... I thought this is the season of good will. Well Bar Humbug to ya.
                    Well id give it to you, but then I would have to kill you! Seriously though, it wasnt me that found the supplier, and they showed it to me in confidence so I cant share it. Sorry
                    Last edited by tboy; 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

Originally posted by greenfingers View Post
                      Well id give it to you, but then I would have to kill you! Seriously though, it wasnt me that found the supplier, and they showed it to me in confidence so I cant share it. Sorry
                      The Ghost of Christmas future will come to haunt you for this
                      Last edited by tboy; 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

Working...
                      X