Wound an interesting one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wound an interesting one

I like to concoct designs with off-the-wall specifications just to see what they sound like. I wound one recently that is pretty impressive to say the least. It's a high output bucker:

16.8k Ohm
    44 AWG
    Single Formvar
    Alnico 6

bass is tight, plenty of mids, and a clear high end. Has the best characteristics of Alnico and ceramic. Has power, with no mid scoop, and its able to cut like a knife...without being harsh.

I would of thought that a pickup like this would have some mud in the low end but it's quite the opposite. Great defined chunk.

I think it could be the ultimate heavy metal pickup.

Anybody else do anything with odd ball specs?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Hi Kevin, good to see you....

I was trying out some radical stuff a few weekends ago and trashed all of them. I was pissed when I found out that I had wired them all up wrong
    Every single one was out of phase and I was steadily trashing them and rewinding something else. Who knows now how many of them would have been great?? At the end of it all, on the last one I wound I played it and it hit me, check the way it was wired, sure enough it was out of phase, I had done the last 5 like that. I was so mad I took the whole pickup, walked outside and threw it as far as I could in the woods and said screw it all....I felt like a total dumbass

Comment

Thats sweet! How many turns of 44 did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
        Hi Kevin, good to see you....

I was trying out some radical stuff a few weekends ago and trashed all of them. I was pissed when I found out that I had wired them all up wrong
        Every single one was out of phase and I was steadily trashing them and rewinding something else. Who knows now how many of them would have been great?? At the end of it all, on the last one I wound I played it and it hit me, check the way it was wired, sure enough it was out of phase, I had done the last 5 like that. I was so mad I took the whole pickup, walked outside and threw it as far as I could in the woods and said screw it all....I felt like a total dumbass
        That reminds me of something that happend last year when my heathen nephew was messin' with my winder. ...he ended up pushin' some buttons and changed the winding direction in the process. I didn't notice until after I wound a batch clockwise which would of put the pickups out of phase in the middle position if it was paired with another pickup that was wound CCW. Totally pissed me off. I just told the folks to just switch the hot and ground at the pots if they found that was the case. I rewired the others at the leads.
        Last edited by kevinT; 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
          I will have to look at my notes...can't remember off of the top of my head.

Comment

Formvar coated wire makes nice sounding humbuckers. Never tried A6 though.
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

You left alot out, what kind of slugs or is this a double allen screw pickup, what keeper, what pole screws....
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                You left alot out, what kind of slugs or is this a double allen screw pickup, what keeper, what pole screws....
                Pfft! None of those things matter, Dave.

Comment

Dave...I can't give out all my secrets

But I can tell you it's a slug/screw combo

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                    I'd guess about 7100 per coil...

I have some odd ball stuff in the works....
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Was just curious. I don't even make stuff like that yet. I guess you'd have to play pickups like that through high gain master volume type amps? I wonder what the numbers are on what sells the most, highoutput buckers or screw/slug buckers....
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Was just curious. I don't even make stuff like that yet. I guess you'd have to play pickups like that through high gain master volume type amps? I wonder what the numbers are on what sells the most, highoutput buckers or screw/slug buckers....
                        Well look at the Duncan JB. That's 16.4K. That's a real popular pickup. You don't need a high gain amp because the pickup is already loud.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          I'd guess about 7100 per coil...

I have some odd ball stuff in the works....
                          That sounds about right without digging out my notes. Can't forget that there could be an offset in there.....6900 and 7300

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                            That sounds about right without digging out my notes. Can't forget that there could be an offset in there.....6900 and 7300
                            I used Dan's Coil Estimator which gets you in the ball park.

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                              Formvar coated wire makes nice sounding humbuckers. Never tried A6 though.
                              Parisian Walkway sounded great live with Formvar in the neck. maybe that's the key to that sustain. AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Comment

Working...
                              X