X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap counter

looking for a good cheap turns counter check out maxim

Key Specifications: Counters and Timers
    Part Number Features Outputs Type Maximum Count Output Type Speed (MHz) Supply Current (max) (mA) Supply Voltage (min) (V) Supply Voltage (max) (V) Package Price**
    ICM7224 • Improved Second Source
    • RC Oscillator or External Clock
    Display Decade 19999 LCD 15 0.025 3 6 PDIP/40
    PLCC/44 $6.41 @ 1k
    ICM7225 Common Anode LED $4.86 @ 1k
    See All Counters and Timers (12)

full datasheet is at http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1359/t/al

just add an lcd or led display and hall sensor /optical sensor/ reed relay ( least desirable and reliable) and you are good to go for under ten bucks

amplexus

I got a pretty good one I just found...

http://www.neufeld.newton.ks.us/electronics/?p=137

This guy made a counter out of a rice-crispies pedometer! simply replace the weight/metal contact switch with some wire leads, hover 2 pieces of metal above a bump on the axel, and there you go!

Comment

Originally posted by J-chot View Post
      I got a pretty good one I just found...

http://www.neufeld.newton.ks.us/electronics/?p=137

This guy made a counter out of a rice-crispies pedometer! simply replace the weight/metal contact switch with some wire leads, hover 2 pieces of metal above a bump on the axel, and there you go!
      Be careful that it doesn't double or triple count at high winding speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
        Be careful that it doesn't double or triple count at high winding speeds.
        actually, my problem with this is that the counter won't count fast enough....I plan to combat it using gears to offset the rotation (3.5 rotations equals 1 click, for example)

Comment

Well, if you're going to go to the mechanical trouble of driving the counter with gears or a timing belt, then why not just use a mechanical counter? The one on my coil winder came right out of McMasters for about $40. It spins fine at 1700 rpm and is absolutely reliable. Make sure that you get one that's rated for continuous rotation (not step motion) in the right direction. I picked up a spare one later on ebay for $12, which is bidirectional (called add/subtract).

Having an electronic counting system glitch or give false readings during a winding could really screw you up. If I eventually add an electronic counter, I'll still keep the mechanical counter attached as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
            Well, if you're going to go to the mechanical trouble of driving the counter with gears or a timing belt, then why not just use a mechanical counter? The one on my coil winder came right out of McMasters for about $40. It spins fine at 1700 rpm and is absolutely reliable. Make sure that you get one that's rated for continuous rotation (not step motion) in the right direction. I picked up a spare one later on ebay for $12, which is bidirectional (called add/subtract).

Having an electronic counting system glitch or give false readings during a winding could really screw you up. If I eventually add an electronic counter, I'll still keep the mechanical counter attached as a backup.
            What type of mechanical counter do you recommend? I'm building a winder right now, and have been researching counters.. what a can o' worms..
            Last edited by Rich Rice; 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM. Reason: Can't type worth crap...
            RiceCustomGuitars

Comment

Well, I found a mechanical counter on Ebay... We'll see how it works out. My winder is shaping up nicely, can't wait to take it for a "spin".

As an aside, my wife thinks I'm crazy- so it must be a good idea...
              RiceCustomGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Rice View Post
                As an aside, my wife thinks I'm crazy- so it must be a good idea...
                Or you are married to the wrong person?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

About mechanical counters:

Just to clarify: your mechanical counter needs to be a "Rotating Shaft Counter". It's a specific type that counts as you spin its shaft continuously. The other type are called "Lever Actuated Counter", in which you push and pull the lever to count. That will NOT work in this application.

For reference, check out McMasters searching by Mechanical Counters. Look at page 1567, Lever Actuated & Rotating Shaft Counters. The one I have is #1697T23; RH shaft, CCW rotation; 5 digits; currently $58. It's rated for 10,000 RPM.

Like I said previously, you can find them for less on ebay, but make sure it's a rotating shaft model, and is made for the direction of rotation that you want (probably CCW).

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Or you are married to the wrong person?
                    LOL.. Nope, she's the one and only for me.. Four grown kids and 33 years of marriage, and we're still friends. Nobody else would put up with my BS for this long..
                    RiceCustomGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Rice View Post
                      LOL.. Nope, she's the one and only for me.. Four grown kids and 33 years of marriage, and we're still friends. Nobody else would put up with my BS for this long..
                      Well good for you. Sounds like my wife... though we have only been married 6 years.

Her eyes often glaze over when I explain what I'm doing, but at least she thinks I know what I'm doing. lol
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Well good for you. Sounds like my wife... though we have only been married 6 years.

Her eyes often glaze over when I explain what I'm doing, but at least she thinks I know what I'm doing. lol
                        My wife got me an $8000 shed, her old sewing machine and a host of other things just so that her eyes would not have to glaze over each time I reached a new milestone with my winder.
                        "Are you going out to piddle in your shed", she would ask as i left the house; " no", i replied, i`m heading out to do some footerin," (an old Ulsterism for piddling).
                        Yes, i had to leave Ulster for NC to find the right woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Alabam View Post
                          Yes, i had to leave Ulster for NC to find the right woman.
                          Very nice people in NC. My mother-in-law lives there, as well as a couple of sister-in-laws. I was shocked how much friendlier they are than up here in the NJ/NY metro area.

Comment

Well, it's finished. Waiting for some wire to arrive. The machine is very smooth running, and it took a little fiddling- but the mechanical counter runs perfectly. I'm diggin' it!
                            RiceCustomGuitars

Comment

Very nice people in NC. ea.
                              My wife is from Chicago and i`m from Northern Ireland, she defines it as two northeners in bum f*** egypt. The weather is beautiful and we love it down here.

Comment

Working...
                              X