Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair/mod Q 1965 Deluxe Reverb dilemma

What would you do??

A customer wants me to mod the normal channel. I know it is never used but I don't want to do it to a real DR. They are my favorite Fender amp. On the other hand I need the $$

He wants to add a mid range and use the ext speaker for the pot or the extra normal in put whole. What would you do?

My buddy suggested don't do it - just change the PI tube to a 12ax7 and take the Normal channel tube out to give it some bum and have him use the reverb channel...and tell him to just play it and leave it alone. I never heard why removing normal channel tube would add anything!

Crazy stuff!
    Last edited by Wrongdog; 12-19-2008, 03:09 AM. Reason: typo

It is his amp, it is not like this is the only one left or evidence of ancient Egypt. I'd hate to tear one up myself, but it isn;t mine to say. Customers often come in with goofy ideas. SOme simply won't work, or cannot be done. (Can you put a 4/8 ohm impedance switch on my 1x12 cab?) But when they can be done, I explain the case for not doing it. But I have learned not to press the point. If after they have been informed of my reasons to do otherwise, they still want it done, then I do it. It is his amp, he owns it.

I may have reasons not to, such as I don;t think I could make their mod reliable for some reason, or some technical reason like adding an effects loop in the midle of a digital circuit.

In this case, it doesn;t sound like the guy wants to destroy the amp, he just wants some extra utility from his amp. Apparently we already have discussed using existing holes for pots. SO he isn't asking you to drill holes in it. WHat of this mod cannot be undone easily and returned to original condition?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah - you are right. He does not want it hacked.

To me its kind of like giving Angelina Jolie a boob job.

Comment

Think of it more like Charlize Theron putting on 30 pounds and removing the makeup for a movie role. She can lose the weight and re-apply the makeup later, and still look tremendous.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What about suggeting an outboard EQ?

Comment

Working...
          X