Transformer load question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformer load question

Is it safe to run a 8 ohm load on my bassman that has a 4 transformer?

Thanks
    baddog

It should be. You will lose power. Most amps will accept a 1/2 or 2x load without failure. I do it all the time. Some players do it because they prefere the tone. But...

There are alot of different "Bassman" amps. Some may be more finiky than others. I don't know enough about all the different Bassmans to be 100% sure.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I've done it and I would say yes. Putting a higher resistance on a amp should not hurt it. Putting a lower resistance on an amp would increase the load on the amp and I would think that could cause stress on the output transformer and output tubes.
      Crate V33h, Peavey Classic 30h & 100h, Traynor YCV20WR

Comment

Actually it's the other way around. Running an amp into too high an impedance or an open load can cause arcing in the OT. Too low an impedance or a short will be harder on the tubes but won't generally harm the OT. Most PA failures caused by impedance mismatch are due to too high an impedance or an open load, not too low an impedance or a short. In fact, many MFGs use a shorting jack on the speaker output so that if you try to run the amp with no speaker plugged in the amp will be running into a dead short rather than an open load.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

What he said.
          Remember, this is for tube amps. On SS amps, usually there is a minimum load - you can go higher and even open (no load) without damage.

HTH
          Albert

Comment

Yea, what Albert said too

Chuck

Comment

Thanks to all who replied

BAddog

Comment

Chuck,

I stand corrected, Thanks for the clarification!
                Crate V33h, Peavey Classic 30h & 100h, Traynor YCV20WR

Comment

Working...
                X