Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISCET

Hi Everybody.

Happy New Year! You guys are really awesome. I'm learning a lot from reading posts on this site. I was just wondering if any of you are members of ISCET, or what you think of that organization?

Best Wishes to All,
    Marina

Certifications never hurt on your resume. However, over several decades of hiring and training technicians, I have never asked for such certs nor found them a factor. Frankly I have more use for a guy who has been learning on his or her own by doing, than I do for someone with a fresh diploma and zero practical experience. This is only my opinion. Others may disagree.

I applied a couple years ago for a position at Michigan State University in their electronics and computer engineering college as an electronics technologist. My resume listed my experience and areas of expertise, I have degrees but no certifications. And they didn't ask for any. Part of the interview was technical questions. They could learn more from my responses than they could from a cert.

(I didn't get the job, interview went very well, but they wanted more computer knowledge than I have.)
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm studying for their audio certification. To me it's much less expensive than taking college courses, and it's a learning experience. They have certifications and training material in several areas such as consumer electronics, audio, & video, medical electronics, & I think they have one for computers, but they don't seem to have anyone or anything in pro-audio. I wish they did.

Comment

Oh, training materials are another thing altogether. I didn't know they had course materials. That is always of value.

As to pro audio vs consumer audio, I'd say the difference is in scale and specifics. You just won;t see 2000 watt power amps in home stereos very often. if you do, it is more likely a pro unit anyway. The basic troubleshooting is going to work anywhere. The way to find a problem in a tuner/preamp/power amp/speakers home setup is the same as a mic/mixer/EQ/power amp/speaker setup. There are details like balanced lines that don't come up so often in consumer goods, but those are details.

Troubleshooting is a universal skill, it applpies to anything you work on. Get THAT out of any courses you take, above all.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X