Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

This amp cuts off and sound fuzzy after 5-10 minutes of playing. The dealer does not know what it is. I have heard from other music stores that looked at it that it might be the output transistor.

Here's the problem,

I play for a few minutes then as I'm playing the sounds distorts (fuzz) and fades away. I have ran another amp to my 6x10 HLF speakers and it's not the speakers. I have changed cables and it's not the cables, I used a Speakon as well as a monster bass chord. The repair shop just called and said they don't see a problem with it. I told them to play for 5-10 and see what happens. I'm still waiting for there phone call. I'm confused I really need my amp fixed!!! Can you guys help or give me a sense of direction?

Thanks,

Frank
    Last edited by LocoBassPlayer; 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM.

Well thanks for your help. I'm gonna walk out the door. Can someone terminate my account?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBassPlayer View Post
      Well thanks for your help. I'm gonna walk out the door. Can someone terminate my account?

Thanks in advance.
      Sorry, it is hard to say what your amp might need.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I would be looking for a cold or cracked solder joint. They have been known to have that problem. Can't really narrow it down though that symptom could be lots of things. Are you rack mounting it? If so, that can create a heat problem in those units. Testing it out of the enclosed rack problem goes away. There are plenty of components in there that could fail from excessive heat. Which one? We would only be guessing at this time, without taking some voltage readings inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Garydean View Post
          I would be looking for a cold or cracked solder joint. They have been known to have that problem. Can't really narrow it down though that symptom could be lots of things. Are you rack mounting it? If so, that can create a heat problem in those units. Testing it out of the enclosed rack problem goes away. There are plenty of components in there that could fail from excessive heat. Which one? We would only be guessing at this time, without taking some voltage readings inside.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response and shedding some light. Yes, I do rack mount the amp. The SKB Rack Case comes with Shock Absorbers. I was told by the dealer that they found the problem but has not advised me of it. I think you are correct. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have a SVT-4 with the samesymptom. It had a defective driver in the power amp, and I wasn't as lucky as LocoBassPlayer was. I lost the power amp, and now it's basically a big paperweight.

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
              I have a SVT-4 with the samesymptom. It had a defective driver in the power amp, and I wasn't as lucky as LocoBassPlayer was. I lost the power amp, and now it's basically a big paperweight.

Ken
              I guess I found my problem here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=a3C...sult#PPA296,M1

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Sorry, it is hard to say what your amp might need.

FYI, they found the problem. "OUTPUT TRANSISTOR"

Comment

There are so many different things that can cause trouble in an amp, without looking into it yourself, it is very hard to say what we would find. I am glad your amp has been sorted out.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                  X