Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar transformer vs Organ transformer

Hello

What is the differance between a guitar amp ouput transformer and a vintage organ transformer. I build a Deluxe from an old Bogen phonograh anp and used an old organ transformer. I think the amp sounds pretty good the way it is but if i did change it to a deluxe output transformer what could i expect to change.

BD

Hard to say without knowing anything about your organ tranny. But if the load resistance is set up the same or similar to a 'stock' 5E3 tranny (8k-8R) (- and bearing in mind that there are several after-market 'stock' trannys available) there wouldn't probably be too much difference, albeit that if the organ tranny was physically larger, it might carry the bass notes better without breaking up.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Truth be told i didnt realy do any mesurements on the organ trany. I threw it in , cranked it up and it sounded good. I made a 5c3 deluxe but installed a standard fender input 68k signal resistor & 1Meg to ground resistor. With the amp the origenal way the amp was to distorted when cranked . At low volumes it had a nice tone so i am trying to find a nice medium ground between usable tone and full on overdrive. I forgot to write down the output inpedance of the trany when i removed it from the organ . I am using an old 15" ALNiCo blueframe speaker from an old organ. Nice sounding speaker

thanks for the input

BD

Comment

Try a choke in the Pii filter. That will lift the voltages throughout the amp and clean it up quite a bit, but you'll probably need to put a 5W 470R-4k7 resistor in series with the screen supply to get the screen voltage under the plate voltage. And you'll also probably need to either zener down the B+ to around 340-350VDC at idle, or up the cathode resistor to 300 or 330R to get the output tubes biased within their comfort zone.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I was playing the amp at work in a large brick building for a little while and decided i like the way it sound. The 15" jensen really warms the amp up.

I have an extra spot for a pot on the amp chassi and was wondering if you had ant ideas on what i could put their. I installed a 100k duel gain pot in place of the 2 input impedance resistors but it didn't make much of a difference when adjusting the pot. I was thiking about using a 5 meg duel gain pot in place of the 5 meg resistors that go to ground from the input. any thoughts

BD

Comment

My experience with organ transformers is that they often have more bass and sometimes more treble than a guitar amp might need...you can easily end up with a lot more bandwidth than you might want, but less than what the hifi nuts are after. Hammond organ xfrmrs seem to be lower bandwidth than some of the other consoles...seem to be single layer wound, so you wouldn't get enough highs for a hifi. On the other hand, I have seen some of the other organ makes with transformers that sound very good...it depends on what you're looking for, but I've found them to work fairly well. The cheaper the organ, the more like a classic guitar opt it will be, the more expensive, the more like a hifi. You *should* get more bass headroom, in any case, since the organ goes much lower than guitar.

Comment

I have 12 organ chassis ranging from hammond to wurlitzer lying around . 6l6,el84 and 6v6's . More projects

Comment

Working...
              X