Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitarfetish site for cheap parts

http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html

I found this site after a buddy telling me about the pickups they sell from this site. They have the EVH copy humbuckers there. And cheap prices too. I may want to order some parts from them but I wonder how good these parts are?

Anyone here ever try anything from this site? They sure do have a lot of parts that look great, pricing is better than most places I have found too.

SLO

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html

I found this site after a buddy telling me about the pickups they sell from this site. They have the EVH copy humbuckers there. And cheap prices too. I may want to order some parts from them but I wonder how good these parts are?

Anyone here ever try anything from this site? They sure do have a lot of parts that look great, pricing is better than most places I have found too.

SLO
    I used some tuners from them. They were good stuff. I'm thinking of getting some 60's AlNiCo pickups soon.

Comment

So far I have only actually used their alnico strat pups, so I can't speak to your question exactly, but they were AMAZING! Not just for the price (which is incredible)--they absolutely nailed the vintage vibe I was after and then some, and the build quality is quite good, nothing cheesy about them (I love the color coded cloth-covered leads). A friend told me that he liked their Filtertrons as well. I have also used one of their active circuits for guitar (a seepable filter, like a wah), and while it did not turn out to be my cup of tea, it was still very nicely done, worked well and easy to install, and cheaper than if I had sourced the parts myself. Only good stuff to say about GFS.

Comment

I've used a bunch of stuff from them. Overall, I've been happy.

I used their vintage style tuners and Jimi PUPs on a Strat project. I've got one of their PAF style PUP's in one of my spare guitars and a Dream 90 in the neck of one of my main Les Pauls. Happy with all of it!

I don't think they blow away some of the higher end products. For instance, I've got Nordstrand pickups in one of my guitars and they are more articulate/defined sounding. I usually use Duncan PUPs and I'd say that the Duncans are a little better in the clarity department. For the price, I think GFS is a good value.

BTW. I like the GFS PAF sytle better than the Burstbucker that was stock in my Les Paul Standard.

Comment

I have been checking out that site too, and the prices are almost too good to believe. I was particularly interested in the lil puncher and lil killer pickups. I think I might order a tremelo block too.

Comment

Well I have placed two orders already and got some of the VEH humbuckers and strat MIM tremolo with the thick steel block. The VEH bridge is supposed to be the same sound as the EVH pickup from Eds famous strat. The bridge pup is only 11k but does sound damn good, the matching neck pup sounds really good and when switched into both HB at the same time I can nail SRVs tone to a T on a alder body strat. Go figure...

I placed a second order for some parts and got the stainless steel saddles and put on the tremolo I got from them and they fit perfect and sound good too, they take of a slight touch of highs off and give a bit better sustain. The one problem I did find was I ordered three different Stratocaster pickgaurds with the humbucker cut in the bridge and I notice they cut the HB bridge pickup a quarter inch closer to the trem bridge than my warmoth or chandler strat pickgaurds so that worries me as I feel this will give the strat a too trebly sound with the humbuckers. I might send them back but the price for the three was about 34 bucks which is much cheaper that the 25 bucks I would have spent with Warmoth. I got some 6 inline keys that look like Gotoh copies and they seam decent. I also got a pair of the crunchy PAFs and will try them out in a few days. The prices are good but the pickguards concern me with the slight bit difference in the HB placement. The pickguards look great, just the HB being closer to the bridge, who know... maybe it will be OK.

SLO
            Last edited by Slobrain; 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Most of the GFS pickups I've tried, which are made in Korea by Artec, are pretty good, especially for the money. My most recent purchase was a vintage Strat set for a Gilmour-clone I built, and they are pretty nice, albeit with a bit of unrefined edge to them. Not a BAD thing, but they are NOT Lollar, Fralin or Barden. They are also a fraction of the price, which will get you into the neighborhood of where you want to be, but perhaps not the same address. Still and all, they have a great variety and I've never had problems, so I recommend them

Most of the GF hardware is by Sung Il, a Korean company which supplies hardware to Fender and other companies, as well as Wilkinson. The stuff is pretty good and I have no issues with it, plus it is reasonably-priced.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Hey Jrfrond,
                Thanks for that info. I looked up Artec and here is a site I found of some really cool pedals. I'm now gonna have to try a few of these pedals as I like a few of what Im hearing on their site.

http://artecsound.com/effect/index.html

Comment

To carry on the theme of this thread, I too have had great luck with GF. I have their Mean 90's in the bridge of my SG. Great complement to my homemade neck pickup. I also put their roller bridge on my SG and its a pretty solid piece too. Also, great service. Orders ship quickly and they respond so fast to email (for technical as well as sale questions.)

Comment

Well to give an update, So far I have tried the VEH humbuckers and the Crunchy humbuckers and both sound really good for the price. These may not be Seymour D's but they sure sound pretty close and got the two strats where I wanted them to sound. I do have one strat with all single coils when I want to get straty but I also dig having a dual HB strat as well for the rock stuff.

I just rebuilt a 2008 Squire Bullet for a buddy as he wanted a cheap beater and I used the GF strat tuners and these are really smooth and actually feel better than the Gotohs I have been using. Suprisingly the bullet strat came out really well in tone and playability for a $99.00 guitar. But the key to these are stripping them down parts wise, plugging all the holes and re-drilling every thing as the Chinese do not know how to assemble a guitar very well, or at least in whatever factory they build the new bullet strats in ...The thin basswood bodies do sound good though.

The GF pickguards are OK but they cut the HB to close to the bridge for my taste in hi's, I wound up going back to the Warmoth pickgaurds and they serve me well in the tone. They cut their HB Bridge position a bit further back from the bridge for a smoother hi end.

BTW, The Warmoth parchment color pickguard looks really good on a white strat. Too bad I didn't find Guitar Fetish sooner... Oh well...

Cheers

Comment

My $.02

I have found GFS unbeatably easy to deal with. Prompt and accuarte. I have not been brave enough to try the pick ups yet but the hardware is real nice.
                      I bought the vintage wilks tuners with the conversion bushings for a mim neck I picked up. They were very nice and arrived in 36 hours with 5 extra mounting skrews!!! (per usual I stripped 2 mounting up the tuners. When its for me I tend to rush.)

Its terrible that we are all so skeptical of a company that offers reasonable prices.

Comment

I bought some stuff from them years ago. I wanted to put a guitar together as a learning experience and didn't want to spend a whole lot on it. Got a surprisingly nice import Strat clone ,minus the pickups,real cheap off eBay.Took it all apart.Scraped the paint out of the neck pocket down to the wood so that the neck mates better to the body.I stripped the finish of the neck and refinished it with tung oil and put on a Graphtech graphite nut. From Guitarfetish I got the real nice Wilkinson vintage style trem,new pickguard,full size Alpha pots, and pickups.I got the Premium Alnico Vintage Strat set. The pickups sound quite good and look well made. Very decent set of pickups for $59.95.It's a really good looking,playing and sounding guitar for little money. I also emailed them a couple of times with questions and got responses within 24 hours. Good customer service.
                        Last edited by spud1950; 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM.

Comment

GFS

I have been buying items from GFS for a while now. I started with their stainless steel trem replacement for strats, and the change in my tone and sustain was fantastic! Since then, I have purchased some of their pups and other misc electronics and I will continue to purchase from them in the future. Great products at great prices.

Comment

I just bought a dual rail Tele lead pickup from Guitar Parts Resource that's actually very good, and it was even cheaper than GFS. $18.99.

Looks like it's made by the same company as GFS, only GFS have theirs custom made.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_other.htm
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I'm still really diggin' the GFS Dream 90 in my main Paul!

Comment

Working...
                              X