Potentiometer Taper explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentiometer Taper explanation

I'm wondering if someone can explain what a "B" taper is. I'm just curious because I'm finding it difficult to find pots with that particular taper. An even better question is whether another taper would suffice (like audio for example).

Depends on what side of the pond you're on:
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...=174&Itemid=44
    In the US, B means linear taper.
    In Europe, B means audio taper.
    -Mike

Comment

in america, and a is audio and that means you have a smooth volume curve from quiet to loud and visa versa. B stands for linear which, when applied in audio applications gives you an uneven change, some guitars have these linear pots for volume dials.
      However, i've read older american pots labeled B for audio, and A for linear so if its real old, it can be the other way around.
      point is, each one will suffice and have the same full on and full off but the sweep in between will be different.

Comment

Go over to RG's Geofex site and read up on the secret life of pots.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Darquilver View Post
          An even better question is whether another taper would suffice (like audio for example).
          Depends what you want the pot for:

Log (audio) pots make good vol pots (the relationship between volume and power is a logarithmic one, and log pots reflect vol proportionately)

Linear pots make good mixing pots and are often used as presence pots or reverb level control pots

Tremolo speed pots are antilog (reverse audio) pots

As one of the other posters pointed out - the nomenclature can vary. If you're not sure, measure the pot at different parts of its rotation

You can custom taper the pot in question by adding a resistor from wiper to ground (log taper) or adding a resistor from input to wiper (antilog taper). E.g.; an off the shelf 'two-line' log taper pot can be further log-tapered (i.e. bulgier curve) by adding a resistor from wiper to ground (although this will decrease the pot's overall resistance as a voltage divider)
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks everyone one, I just wasn't aware that B meant Linear here in the states. That helps alot

Comment

Working...
            X