New Tung-sol 6v6gt voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tung-sol 6v6gt voltage

Hi, does anyone know how far you can push the plate voltage on these?
    400? more? I've got 333v and 38ma right now supplied from a 270-0-270 vac pt winding; the PT also puts out 340-0-340 and I'm thinking about trying it.
    Thanks
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." Yogi Berra

You should be fine with that. I believe they will take up to 450v DC, but if you want to be sure, you could email New Sensor, who distributes and manufactures those tubes worldwide.

Greg

Comment

FWIW I've run them as high as 390V on the plates with no problems, so they'll probably easily get to 400V
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks. I just got an email reply from new sensor:
        "The Tung-Sol 6V6GT has a maximum plate voltage of 475 volts. It has a plate dissipation of 12 watts. This tube was designed to be used in high plate volt amps such as the Fender Deluxe Reverb."
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus View Post
          Thanks. I just got an email reply from new sensor:
          "The Tung-Sol 6V6GT has a maximum plate voltage of 475 volts. It has a plate dissipation of 12 watts. This tube was designed to be used in high plate volt amps such as the Fender Deluxe Reverb."
          ...well, it's refreshing to hear them actually quote the correct plate wattage (12W) for the "GT"...because the only the "GTA"-models are 14W.
          ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Yah I'm actually surprised they shared some info...now if they would just post accurate specs on their site everyone would be happy!

Glad I was close, and in a safe direction too!!

Greg

Comment

I powered up a pair of these with 400V across plate to cathode with the wrong value of cathode resistor (300 ohms) and measured 48-49mA of cathode current per tube (19.2w!). The amazing thing was one tube was not red-plating at all and the other had a single vertical line of pink. They are pretty tough! Changed the cathode resistor to 560R and measured about 31-32mA per tube (12.6w) with no pink at all. Sounded great with both values.
              Next stop is 680R.

Comment

I have run these New Sensor 'Tung-Sol 6V6GTs' in a bias-vary trem amp at 380-390V idle biased to 75-80%) for 9 months without too much hassle. However I have read that they may have a shortcoming in that the thickness of the screen grid support rods might let them down in a way that JJ6V6S might not. The RI Tung-Sol 6V6GT support rods (or what you can physically see of them) do appear to be smaller when you hold them up next to the JJ6V6S. (Although New Sensor supposedly modelled the RI on the original Tung-Sol 6V6GT - I've never seen a real Tung Sol 6V6GT up close so I couldn't say for sure to know whether this is really problematic or not). I have swapped them out for JJ6V6S now, because I noticed eventually that there was some static creeping in (and swapping them out cured that issue)
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                X