6SJ7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6SJ7

Has anyone any experience in employing a 6SJ7 [octal, sharp cutoff pentode] in a topology that would normally call for an EF86 (as in matchless)? I ask because I have several NOS RCAs [metal can]. One of those things that make you go HUMMMMM>

Mikej

The Gibson GA-20 uses 6SJ7's,but it will require an octal socket,the EF86 is a noval.The 6SJ7 has a much lower amplification factor than the EF86,meaning much lower gain.

Comment

It's a great sounding tube, but pentode design was still being developed at the time (read: they expected the tube to be in a heavy piece of furniture, not a guitar amp) and so they sometimes exhibit microphonics. If you can find a spring mounted octal socket or improvise one, that would be neato. They do have a really good sound, maybe a little less bright than an EF86 (high inter-electrode capacitance?) in somewhat similar circuits. Got plenty of gain in most circuits, unless you're trying to drive a power tube directly or something.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I did find the schematic for the Gibson GA20 and that looks interesting. I have a good supply of NOS 6SL7 and 6SN7 as well so I think I'll work in that direction.
        Mikej

Comment

On those Gibsons, they mounted those pentodes in isolated sockets so they are generally not microphonic in those amps. Makes it hard to plug the tubes in but well advised.

Greg

Comment

I was planning to build this a a "head" version. Do you think that would obviate the need to come up with some sort of isolated sockets to deal with potential microphonics?

Mikej

Comment

It may alleviate that need when there isn't a pervasively high SPL going on around it. I figure some heads may as well be combos since they're either sitting on the speaker stack or in a room/stage/whatever with tons of watts getting pushed all around. For smaller jams or more limited environments I'm sure it'll be fine. My 6sj7 was a stand up radio, with the 6sj7 feeding a paraphrase (6sq7/6j5) preamp and PI with 6k6 outputs. Sounded damn nice until you hit an open D string (not E!) and the whole thing would start feeding back microphonically. You could start it by flicking the tube too. At least it was in tune I guess .

Comment

try the GT

Those come in Glass Tube version too. I built a head using the 6SJ7 preamp circuit of the Gibson GA50 since my 1948 model sounded so good. I've tried a half dozen metal and glass tubes in there with no trouble. I think they are less noisy than the EF86, and franky guys - the gain is quite hi. I annotated my schematic and forget exactly, but it had a bit more gain than a 12AX7. Don't take the data sheets as your Bible - who has EVER gotten 40 dB (100x) out of a 12AX7? No one - that's who!
                Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
                Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
                X