Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total newbie, question on avt150 parts

Dear all,

Thank you for reading this, I will be as brief as possible. I've done the usual searching around online and have found my likely issue... In one sentence, I did a stupid thing and blew my avt150 head, I opened her up and the only obvious damage is a shot fuse. I'm guessing that the seemingly infamous TDA7293's are shot as well based on my forum searches thus far.

I have a few questions and would be so very thankful for your response, keep in mind however that the trick if you will is that I have no electronics background whatsoever and hence keeping things as laymen-ish as possible would be super cool. (that being said, I have full confidence with my hands and soldering and such shouldn't be an issue, etc.)

1) I cannot read the fuse and the manual to the amp says nothing... exactly what fuse do I need, and where do I purchase one?
    2) Would anyone find sympathy lol and suggest reading material, or ideally provide a 'walkthrough' as to where these chips are that I'm supposed to remove and replace? All I see is a bunch of boards and a 'big heavy looking thing encased in metal with copper wire in it' lol.
    3) As far as how I did it, please keep all teasing to a minimum... I'm not dumb I just tend to do dumb things. And yes I have clearly learned the hard way. If the manual says don't do something then they're probably right.

I should mention that sure, I suppose I can take it in for service but I do wish to address this myself, I don't see any harm in trying at least. I think once I figure out what everything is conceptually then perhaps things will make more sense? But that will take some time, for now I just want to have it ready to go for next practice.

Be brave, any takers? Ask away and I will do all I can to answer your inquiry. Thanks in advance. -George

Well you didn't specify exactly what you did to cause the damage, but I'll assume it was something to do with the speaker output. You need a multimeter to check for shorts across the main rail filter caps indicating either a faulty power supply or (more likely) output IC. If you don't have that, I'd suggest just taking it in for repair. Even if you identified a bad output IC, your chances of tearing up the little boards they're soldered to is pretty good. They're not easy to remove for the novice. Then you'd have to get the whole assy from Mar$hall and pay as much or more than the repair cost from a shop.

The pwr amp IC's are around 12$ just for the part less pcb. So I believe there's 2 in that unit, so figure an hour of bench time plus parts.

I'm not saying not to be interested in learning about this stuff, but this is not the one to start on.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

lol well I appreciate your brutal honesty. I do have a multimeter, but as you may suspect by now, I have no idea what filter caps or an output IC are. So, guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for a tech to do it... and in the meantime find a good book that discusses such terminology. Best, -g

So, how do you learn this stuff if it's not your trade? Just tinkering around?

Comment

You need to learn electronics theory, and that can be done on your own via books, or even on the net if you look around. Learn to solder *correctly*. It looks easy, and it is once you've logged some hours practicing (I've been doing it for 25 years so its just a part of life for me), but theres still only one right way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Dq8blTmSA
        Theres a whole series there...that'll get ya started. I haven't watched it, but it should do the job.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Excellent, thanks I will go check it out. Learning the theory sounds like a good thing lol it's always good to know a bit about what you're doing. Already been in touch with the local tech so we'll see how that goes. Appreciate your response.

George

Comment

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronic.../dp/0521370957

Comment

http://www.pacificrecone.com/JackDarrBook.html Jack darrs book is an excellent place to start,mostly tube oriented,but he does have some solid state stuff as well.I personally dont like to work on solid state,but as Enzo has pointed out to me,they are fairly similar.

Comment

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Best,
                -g

Comment

Working...
                X