6l6 ok with 6v6 OT ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6l6 ok with 6v6 OT ?

I've been runing GT-6L6ge (duo) in my fender princeton reverb ll. (yes...I've adjusted the bias). The thing sounds great! My concern is regarding the use of the stock output transformer (fender part no. 022640). Will the primary impedance present a problem? Will changing to a bonafied 6l6 OT change the sound... how. Is there any issue with regards to tube life using the stock OT?

thanks.

Oh... here are the specs

Fender Output Transformer 125A1A / 022640 Push-Pull
    for Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb
    Pri: 6,600 Ohm / CT
    Sec: 8 Ohm
    Power: 20 Watt

Comment

6L6s like to see about half the impedance seen by a 6v6. Your load impedance is actually somewhat low for 6v6s, and somewhat high for 6l6s. I've seen that impedance before in many hifi 6l6 amps. Your transformer may or may not like the additional current, so I would recommend trying to raise the B+ and lower the current through the power tubes (may change tone, maybe not, but it will lower the strain on the OPT). A 5z4 instead of 5y3 will work well to do this while preserving slow warm up. Additionally, you will want to make sure neither the OPT nor the PT are getting really warm, since the 6L6s will draw more heater current. So the short answer is maybe. You will be putting more strain than before on all the transformers, and so it's up to the transformers if this will keep working.

Comment

Nah no harm done - 6L6s sound good with a anything from 3k3 to 6k6 primary zed
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

6V6 to 6L6

I highly recommend getting a beefier tranny for this operation, yes you can re bias and won't hurt anything but I put a beefier transformer(both ot and pt) in my mid 60's princeton reverb, i got a good one from mr. allen at allen amps, i can tell you it is worth it, that amp has as much balls and clean headroom as my super reverbs, it is a good thing to do if you can.

Comment

Working...
          X