How can I add a speaker out jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I add a speaker out jack

I have a 'torque T100 L' guitar amplifier which has one single speaker inside
    I also have aquired a 'peavey impulse 200' speaker which runs at 4ohms.

Can I add an 'extra speaker' jack socket to my amp and use the peavey speaker as an extention cabinet?

I have only a basic understanding of amplifier circuits but will be able to do the mod with instructions.

Thanks..
    sam

It shouldn't be a problem although I'm not familiar with that amp. In many amps another jack is installed and just a wire is run from the original jack to the new one. Most Fenders are like that. You'll want to watch your impedance, though. It doesn't have to be exact but relatively close.
    ----------------------------------

Doc

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
      I checked both of the speakers are 4ohm

do you recomend adding the external speaker in parallel or series with a switch?

Sam

Comment

Well, if you wire them in parallel, your total impedance will be 2 ohms. In series it will be 8 ohms. I prefer wiring speakers in parallel so if you lose one speaker the others will still work and get you through a gig. In series, lose one speaker and you lose them all. With that said, an impedance mismatch is more apt to damage your OT and since I'm not familiar with that amp you'd be better off getting advise from someone who is. Normally OTs can handle a 100% mismatch without damage. If you can get the specs off of the OT you can probably find some information on the internet or you can call the manufacturer and ask them.

I used to have a combo and an external cab. The speaker in the combo was 8 ohms and the cab was also 8 ohms. I'd run the amp output through the cab and not use the combo speaker. If I ever blew the cab, I could always fall back on the combo speaker. I never blew the cab speakers so it really didn't matter although I was prepared!
        ----------------------------------

Doc

Comment

I have now wired the speakers in parallel. was fairly easy.

if anyones interested..
          My amp (torque T100L) has a reverb footswitch jack on the amps panel.
          I cut the connections to that and soldered on the speaker cables. so now is an external speaker jack.
          Havent had a chance to try it out yet but hope for the best this afternoon...

if the outputs poop then I might do what you said and call up the manufacturer to see if it can handle 8ohms.

I have another Idea. If I add 2 external speakers in paralel then the total impedance is 1.33 ohms. however, if i add the 2 external speakers in series but in parallel with the combo speaker then the total impedance would be 2.66.
          What do you think? would adding a third speaker be better or would it be overkill?

Comment

Success!
            It works, to good effect. With just one external speaker wired in parrallel. The sound is great.
            My next job is working on my car speakers... (need to make smaller cabinets for them)

Comment

Working...
            X