hifi graphic eq thru guitar amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hifi graphic eq thru guitar amp?

hi all, first of all i just wanted to congratulate you all on the best and most informative music gear site ever, its really nice to find a site with such knowledge and not a smarta**e reply to be found!
    i recently acquired a stunning rocktron vendetta 100w head(bruce egnater design)and really its hard to get a bad sound from this amp. what i was wondering though, i want to tweak the sound a bit more and i was wondering if it would be ok to run a hi fi graphic eq(yamaha natural sound ge 20) through the effects loop? if so would it be better through the series or parallel loop? thanks.

OK? Sure. it certainly won't hurt the equipment to connect signal processing gear to the external processor jacks.

As to serial/parallel loops, considering that all you have to do is move two cards to different jacks, just try it both ways. Thinking about it, I am not sure what the point of a parallel loop would be in this application. If you want to tweak the EQ of the overall signal, then sending some dry and some procesed seems to be defeating part of the purpose.

Remember, USA graphics work upside down in Australia.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Initially it seems really weird to run a graphic EQ in parallel but I do recall some Fender Bass amps that do something similar. In those, the slider actually "boosts" at both ends but then mixes it back into the signal path in polarity (for a boost) or out of polarity (creates a cut). They just mix it in on either side of an inverting buffer.

Of course, the EQ in the effects loop won't be able to affect the "cut" part of this in the same way. The "boost" functions should work perfectly fine to add additional output at certain frequencies. If you start with all of the EQ controls at their minimum positions (think of this as "flat" in this scenario) and then just add boost to each frequency you could probably get something in parallel that works OK. You wouldn't be able to "cut" you would just be able to "not boost" some frequencies.

I like the idea of a parallel EQ because it gives you the best chance to get your tone through without sacrificing as much detail and "touch".

Just trying to think outside the box this morning....

Comment

Working...
      X