Vulcanized fiber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulcanized fiber

I ask to a friend to cut some vulcanized fiber (gray),the pickup plate came back ok but with a gummy thing at cut line.
    Q: how to clean it?

Ooops,my friend used a laser cut .

Comment

Gummy thing? Do you have a pic of this? Is it like a ridge along one side of the cut edge? If it's what I'm used to seeing on cut edges, it's called (in the metals world) dross, and is the junk that didn't get completely ejected from the kerf. You need to remove it by either breaking if off, if it'll break, or cutting/grinding it off. You can see what dross looks like on a cut steel plate (red box) in the attached image.
      Attached Files
      -Mike

Comment

When lasering fibre it heats it up just enough to make some of the impregnating material a little sticky. It's no big deal and it smells kinda good. Kinda like some funky pastry though I can't put my finger on it...
        Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

I have a dual 60 watt laser and cut alot of wood and plastics with it. 90 percent of the time you can wipe the marks off with Naphtha or acetone. I think in the case of that forbon you would want to use Naphtha. I have zero experience cutting forbon, but alot of general laser experience.

The marks are one of two things .. 1) if it is on the thin edge it is the actual material being disintigrated by the laser.. 2) If it is on the bottom of the cut, then he is cutting with too much power and the laser beam is reflecting off the bottom of the table and back onto the piece. There is no way to completly eliminate item 1. WIth item two however you can mostly eliminate it by putting a layer of masking tape on the forbon before you cut it.. either that or a piece of paper from the office.

Comment

tick gum is on the top

Defaced, it´s like Magnut said.
            the stick gum is on the top and thin edge of flatwork.
            So what´s the best way to ''wash'' it?

Comment

water...seriously. Use a piece of wet paper towel and it'll wipe right off.
              www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Yes a wet paper towel. Water is what we use too. Works like a champ and it doesn't hurt you or the fiberboard at all.

Comment

Is it passible to avoid this ?
                  Maybe a 2 pass cut.

Comment

It's not possible to avoid this with a laser. A two pass cut is not good practice for a laser. The feed rate may be turned up though. That will minimize it. Also make sure sufficient air is being used.

I have found that after a period of time it gets much less sticky.
                    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Tanx people, water was perfect.

Comment

There are diference between grey,black and red vulcanized fibre
                        (other than color)?

Comment

Originally posted by Achiles View Post
                          There are diference between grey,black and red vulcanized fibre (other than color)?
                          No.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                          X