Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Bass split pickup winding direction

I'm quite confused...

I've seen P-bass pickups with the two coils wound the same direction, and some other wound opposite direction... Of course the connection of the two coils changes.

My question is: Were the original P-Bass split pickups wound the same direction?

Thanks to any reply!

I'm pretty sure they were wound in the same direction, just like Gibson humbuckers. (both were invented by Seth Lover...)

I think this reverse winding stuff started more recently.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yes they were both wound CW with opposite polarities. Inners are ground.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
        Yes they were both wound CW with opposite polarities. Inners are ground.
        excuse i'm newbe and my english is too poor.... what mean "inners are ground"?? ...if they are same directions and opposite polarities the correct wiring isn't?

outer--------- hot wire
        |
        |
        | coil1
        |
        |
        inner
        \
        inner
        |
        |
        | coil2
        |
        |
        outer-------ground

thanks
        bye

Comment

Yeah, one start (inner) will be ground, but the other will be hot. Unless you wind them opposite.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Sam must disaglee with some honolable gentremen! P. Bass coils wound different direction at different times at Fender. Some wound different direction, some same direction. Some have tape under coil, some not. Some fitted with coils other way round. So do anything you like and Fender most likely done it sometime!

Comment

Working...
            X