Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal can tubes - where to connect shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal can tubes - where to connect shield?

I was looking at a spec sheet for the 6SC7 tube one of my amps uses and it listed some capacitances under the condition that the "shield" (the metal can, right?) was connected to the cathode. There is a pin labeled "S" which I assume means the can. I have it grounded currently. Should that really be tied to the cathode pin?

Thanks.
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

The manufacturer is specifying the conditions under which they tested or measured the capacitance. YMMV. Obviously, in some circuits if the shield is connected to the cathode and it shorts to ground accidently, you have no bias. The old metal 6L6 had the shield connected to pin 1. Look at some old Fender wiring diagrams and you'll see pin 1 connected to ground. Not always practical to connect the shield to cathode but handy testing purposes.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Fender grounded the shield pin in their layout. What you say makes sense, also it would be odd to have something sticking out of the chassis that wasn't grounded. Thanks.
      Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

Working...
      X