Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

... So why exactly dont P-90's have metal covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    I disagree. Explain why long legs make them less wobbly. They do wobble. You need a very long spring to keep it stiff with the longer legs. With shorter legs you can use shorter stiffer springs. And they still wobble! Some guitars don't have angled mounting rings, or any mounting rings, and you can't angle the pickups. Plus even though the rings are angled, the pickup cavity is not.

I just installed humbuckers in 5 guitars this week. The only ones with mounting rings were two Jacksons, and one had flat chrome rings, and the other had low angled rings, which were too steep an angle. The stock pickups were very wobbly so I used tubing instead of springs to sure them up. One Fender had one flat ring and one angled ring, and the angle ring was at the wrong angle for the neck angle.

Plus, even though the rings are at an angle, the hole going through them is not! The bottom on the ring, which is what the pickup references to, is flat.

It's a dumb system. Go look at some Les Pauls and tell me the pickups are angled to the strings correctly. They aren't. That's why you often see more string wear on one bobbin than the other.

Like in this post:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...40&postcount=1

If the pickup was angled parallel to the strings, you wouldn't have the wear on one bobbin, which was higher, because it wasn't angled. The strings hit the slug coil because they angled down past it, while the pickup was straight.

Stop making excuses for bad engineering just because it's traditional.
    Yep I hate it too. Especially SG's. I always have to slam a sponge under the pickup to make them level with the strings. It makes a night and day difference in sound for the better of course. On many other guitars I have to use a heavier spring or sponge to keep the pickup from wobbling so much too. The 3 screw humbuckers were a good idea. Too bad they aren't the norm.

Comment

Working...
    X