Jazzmaster pickup informations/parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzmaster pickup informations/parts

Hey, I came across this webpage, which goes through the whole sha-bang for jazzmaster information, as well as goes a bit in depth as to the pickups and their characteristics.

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/...der_jazzma.htm

Quick quote: "1958-1962 The pickups were wound with plain enamel wire. They were potted in an alcohol activated material. The windings fill up the entire bobbin and often slightly rub the pickup cover. The magnets were hand beveled and the magnets barely stick out beyond the cover. On the bottom the magnets stock out quite a bit and have a heavy bevel. Both neck and bridge pickups have black and white cloth wire and the fiber for the coils is made from black material. "

and then "1962-1964 The winding wire appears to change to bondable Formvar and is still potted with the alcohol activated material. The winding style changes during 1962 from a 'scatter wind' to a more even wind. "

Just curious: where could I get vintage-correct Jazzmaster bobbins, and what is most likely this "alcohol activated material"?

Thanks!

Originally posted by joelap View Post
    ...and then "1962-1964 The winding wire appears to change to bondable Formvar and is still potted with the alcohol activated material. The winding style changes during 1962 from a 'scatter wind' to a more even wind. "

Just curious: where could I get vintage-correct Jazzmaster bobbins, and what is most likely this "alcohol activated material"?

Thanks!
    It's the outermost coating on the bondable wire. Typically it's some plastic like polyvinyl acetate that dissolves in alcohol, and/or melts at a fairly low temperature. The drill is that one winds the coil, and then dips it in alcohol (or heats it). This melts the bonding layer, which re-hardens when the alcohol evaporates (or the coil cools).

This is widely used to make free-standing (bobbinless) coils, generally for use at radio frequency, or to generate high voltages.

Google on "bondable magnet wire" for more information.

Comment

Ahh, I understand. It's basically an alternative option to wax potting something, by using the coating of the wire to make the hardening.

Now how about them Jazzmaster bobbins?

Comment

I've never seen Jazzmaster bobbins for sale anywhere, which isn't to say there aren't any though...

But they shouldn't be too hard to make. You just need the fiberboard, and the magnets. The hardest part is probably getting the pole pieces straight, but with the proper jigs you can do it, and make it repeatable.

They aren't too different from Strat bobbins, as far as how they are put together.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I've never seen Jazzmaster bobbins for sale anywhere, which isn't to say there aren't any though...

But they shouldn't be too hard to make. You just need the fiberboard, and the magnets. The hardest part is probably getting the pole pieces straight, but with the proper jigs you can do it, and make it repeatable.

They aren't too different from Strat bobbins, as far as how they are put together.
          David, thanks for the response. I guess I'll give it a shot. I'm a first timer really, so hopefully I'll be able to pull this off with some primitive tools.

As far as jaguar bobbins: are those the same as strat bobbins, with the cover being different? or are those different as well?

Comment

David, thanks for the response. I guess I'll give it a shot. I'm a first timer really, so hopefully I'll be able to pull this off with some primitive tools.
            You know, for a Jazzmaster you could use a sharp razor to cut them out.. since they are straight lines.

As far as jaguar bobbins: are those the same as strat bobbins, with the cover being different? or are those different as well?
            I'm not sure.. I own a Jazzmaster, but I've only played a Jaguar a few times a long time ago. I know they have the metal comb thing... There's a lot of people here who know about Fender pickups... I'm sure someone will have some advice.

As an aside, with a little work you can put a P-90 in a Jazzmaster cover. Gives the guitar a whole new tone!
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X