Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will double-faced tape hold a bobbin while winding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will double-faced tape hold a bobbin while winding?

The title says it all. Any recommendations?

Edit: just checked SK's site and it said yes. Any specific brand?

I'm not the most experienced winder, but I've just been using the double-sided foam sticky tape, 3M brand, from the drug store down the street. I can usually do a couple of coils before I need to replace the tape. (If it stays stuck to the winder, and not the pickup when removing from the winder.)

Comment

Thanks, I might try that.

I was just searching and found this, but it looks like it might be too permanent.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100658266

Comment

This stuff?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod4117718

Comment

I use something similar to the carpet tape in your first link. Have always worked for me without any problems. Although with my current winder I have separate, exchangeable face plates for all types of bobbins with a recess that takes a lot of load away from the tape.

Comment

I've been using double stick tape for about 4 years. I use the thin stuff like they sell at Stew-Mac.
            http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_a...tick_Tape.html

This is commonly used for routing templates, so it has no problem holding a bobbin in place. I get several bobbins from one strip before it starts to loose it's adhesion, and some of my bobbins are kind of heavy. The couple of times I had a bobbin fall off was because the tape had been used too many times.

For very small bobbins I use foam tape.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I use this stuff.

http://www.officesupplieslane.com/mmm4010.html

I find that I launch fewer bobbins across the shop with this stuff but it's very sticky. Can get a lot of uses out of it.
              Ever Learning
              Clint Searcy
              www.searcystringworks.com

Comment

grip tape for golf clubs

Comment

Thanks guys. I just picked up some Scotch/3M tape from the drug store. If it doesn't work I'll try something stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Searcy View Post
                    I find that I launch fewer bobbins across the shop with this stuff but it's very sticky.
                    I had a J Bass bobbin fly off and hit me right between the eyes once...ONCE. I don't use tape anymore. I have a tailstock machine now.
                    -Stan
                    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
                    Stan Hinesley Pickups
                    FaceBook

Comment

I tried double stick but it just wasn't reliable aside from positioning. I always tape the ends of the bobbin to the platter with masking tape now. That also prevents wire from getting piled up on the edge of the bobbin or worse, between the bobbin and the platter (if your guides aren't quite set right).

A tailstock would be handy but I don't have center holes on my flatwork yet.

Comment

There is some white fabric double sided tape (Carpet tape) at Home Depot that is really good. You can go through about 100 bobbins before you need to replace it.
                        www.wbpickups.com

Comment

if you're going to use double-sided tape for this application, I recommend SCAPA 6360. You should easily find this through any industrial adhesive seller in North America or Europe. It's widely used by woodworking industries (including guitar factories) for adhering jigs and as a hold-down adhesive for CNC applications.

It's a paper substrate tape with an aggressive adhesive, yet it's not too difficult to remove, provided you haven't left it on for a month or more...

This stuff is one of many industry secrets that I had the opportunity to glean from Jean and many others from the Larrivee factory in Vancouver, BC. Regardless of what myself or anyone else thinks of Larrivee instruments, from the perspective of industrialism, Jean has devised some revolutionary methods for manufacture, and has also popularized some amazing adhesives, including tapes.

I buy glues and SCAPA tape from Rainbow Industrial Products Ltd in Coquitlam, BC, Canada, but all diatribe aside, this tape is a God among tapes.

Comment

I went to HD and they didn't have the Rhino stuff in post #3, so I got this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100645279

I'm going to make a few test runs before assembling the pickup. If it acts funny I'd rather find out on a piece of scrap.

This will be for holding the magnets to the bobbins. Since it'll be different than before I'll be able to screw the thing to the mounting base for winding.

Comment

I use the 3M double stick tape too. I cut two small pieces and place them on the bobbin ends rather than one long piece.
                              int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
                              www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X