Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is too much aging? Opinions please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
    "Marlboro Ash"...interesting ...I'll have to find some smokers/ash trays. This June marks 20 years of not smoking after smoking for ten years.

I know that guitar very well. Rest assured there is a lot of beer residue on that pickup. Maybe those lighter stains are dried up foam.

In fact, Frankie lives right around the corner from me (5 minutes away). He uses this axe every time they open for KIX and Jaxx in Springfield VA.
    Originally posted by kevinT View Post
    "Marlboro Ash"...interesting ...I'll have to find some smokers/ash trays. This June marks 20 years of not smoking after smoking for ten years.

I know that guitar very well. Rest assured there is a lot of beer residue on that pickup. Maybe those lighter stains are dried up foam.

In fact, Frankie lives right around the corner from me (5 minutes away). He uses this axe every time they open for KIX and Jaxx in Springfield VA.
    yeah I quit smoking as well a little while ago too. I keep a pack of Marlboros around for aging stuff. Light a couple of cigs and cover them up with the bobbins hanging over the smoke close is a another way of getting some tacky residue buildup from the nicotine and veg oil as well works too with good ole dirt.

Frankie is one cool and crazy dude. I love his beer bottle trick he does with these guitars. You might be right, might be beer residue. LOL!

Ronnie and the guys from Kix are also great guys. Ronnie just sent me a couple of T-Shirts last week. A Blues Vultures one and a Kix road crew one. It's pretty wild that when I was kid of 16/17 my old band used to open for Kix when they were on this side of the coast playing the Stone/Keystone and so many years later they are still around rocking it up. Good guys.

Here's a pic of where his coil was damaged accidentally by Frankie's tech. It was sticky as hell but not from potting (they are un~potted) but it seems that a paper clip was used when it fell off the adjustable screws on the rings. So he tried to put it back on at a gig without taking the pup out of the guitar and presto, dead coil.

www.wbpickups.com

Comment

Jeeze, I remember Kix. I still have their self titled album from 1981.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

there's only 3 of us who have those screws, they are a match to the alloy I had analyzed from a you-know-what :-) I aged them, if you can call it that. The bobbins all I did was lightly sand off the shininess, rubbed some rust into, put some scratches on etc.

One can certainly over do the relic thing, I looked at PAF creme bobbins in photos on the net and they don't really look that beat up, the slugs are still shiny, there is staining that came through the cover holes but the rest of it isn't that radical. The worse looking pickups are like WB's pix, ones that never had covers on them, sweat totally rusts out the pole screws and slugs to the point you don't really want to use a screwdriver on them.

The leather is my jacket :-)
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Possum skin..

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          The relic thing can be fun, but tedious sometimes. This is my first attempt at relic creme bobbins, I didn't rust any of the parts though, they eventually will on their own because of the treatment I did. I could have gone further with this but I didn't charge for it so didn't want to spend toooooo much time on it....
          Wow. Nice job ol' man!! Man. I know its been awile, but hell possum, your palm of your hand looks alot browner?? Wore out?? Better take a break off that lathe....

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            The relic thing can be fun, but tedious sometimes. This is my first attempt at relic creme bobbins, I didn't rust any of the parts though, they eventually will on their own because of the treatment I did. I could have gone further with this but I didn't charge for it so didn't want to spend toooooo much time on it....
            Hey Possum, how come your bobbins are the other way around from the convention?
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I wire them without going out the bottom of the bobbin and don't use the coax to support one bobbin because the bobbins dont sit level since the cable we get isn't the fat stuff like days gone by...plus it has that "God tone" when you do it that way........cough cough....
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
              X