No announcement yet.

Please critique this crazy idea - 50cal AmmoCan amp with switchable 6V6/EL34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please critique this crazy idea - 50cal AmmoCan amp with switchable 6V6/EL34

I've been kicking this around for awhile, and have all the makings for the build. But I just keep putting it off for one reason or another. Picture this...

An Army surplus 50 caliber ammo can (latch-closing lid) as a head. The head is based on the Ax84 P1 Extreme schematic, but switchable between 6V6 (~6W) and EL34 (~12W) output.

Challenges (as I see them):
    #1: Small chassis (10"x6"x2").
    #2: Close proximity of PT and OT (see attached diagram).
    #3: Heat.

I *think* I've solved #1 and #2 as best I can on my own (thats why I'm here). As for #3, I may need to cut a grill slot on the ammo can and install a small PC type muffin fan?

I'd love suggestions.
    Attached Files

Check this out: http://www.douglasamps.com/
    I don't know if it'll be of any help, but reverse engineering is usually easier than engineering.

As for #3, I'd build it and see where you're at, then start cutting if you need to. If you do need to cut slots, I'd do it with a die grinder with a cut off wheel and a fence to keep my cut straight. With a clean start you should have nice looking slots.
    -Mike

Comment

just a thought.

why not shoot some hole in it?

keep with the guns and ammo theme

Comment

If you could somehow heat sink the tubes to the chassis you might have a chance of not needing ventilation.

I thought for a while of doing something similar with an ammo can I had laying around. Then I came to my senses and filled it up with 7.62x39.
        Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

Working...
        X