Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the dimensions of SD humbucker covers some kind of top secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the dimensions of SD humbucker covers some kind of top secret?

I have a set of uncovered standard-spaced 59s on the way and I want to get covers for them. Everywhere I've looked says you *must* get Duncan covers, which seems to me like BS. I cannot find the correct pole spacing dimension spec'ed anywhere. I would prefer to buy covers from Mojo, but I want to be sure I have a correct match.

Is it 49.2mm, 50mm or what? Are bridge and neck the same? I have been searching here and everywhere for some time but cannot find anything with a definitive pole spacing.
    Last edited by Meowy; 03-24-2009, 12:11 AM.

Seymour duncans website says the string spacing is 2 inchs/ 51 mm. I would email or call seymour duncan and ask for specs and even ask about buying covers. I found some on stew macs website. Hope that help you. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...g_Pickups.html

Comment

Stew-Mac sells 2" spaced covers.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by paulyy View Post
        Seymour duncans website says the string spacing is 2 inchs/ 51 mm. I would email or call seymour duncan and ask for specs and even ask about buying covers. I found some on stew macs website. Hope that help you. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...g_Pickups.html
        Yes, the standard spaced 59 dimensions are on the Duncan website but shows the E-to-e spacing as 2.00" which converts to 50.8mm.

Mojo sells 49.2mm (1.94") and 50mm (1.97"). Most everyone here knows well enough there is a meaningful difference in an .8mm variance. Are standard spaced Duncans in fact another .8mm wider?

Interstingly the trem spaced only shows the distance between 2 poles as .414" which simple math converts to 2.07"

I would be surprised to learn there is a mere 7/100" difference between standard and trem spacing across the entire pickup.

I would be similarly surprised if neither size Mojo sells fit Duncans and they are totally proprietary.

Sorry in advance if I sound skeptical bordering on paranoid but is this intentional misinformation?

Comment

Originally posted by Meowy View Post
          I have a set of uncovered standard-spaced 59s on the way and I want to get covers for them. Everywhere I've looked says you *must* get Duncan covers, which seems to me like BS. I cannot find the correct pole spacing dimension spec'ed anywhere. I would prefer to buy covers from Mojo, but I want to be sure I have a correct match.

Is it 49.2mm, 50mm or what? Are bridge and neck the same? I have been searching here and everywhere for some time but cannot find anything with a definitive pole spacing.
          I know for a fact that his standard spacing is 49.2mm. I have put covers on them A LOT. He probably has wrong dimensions listed on his website on purpose. I have noticed several of his pickups stating funky dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochild View Post
            I know for a fact that his standard spacing is 49.2mm. I have put covers on them A LOT. He probably has wrong dimensions listed on his website on purpose. I have noticed several of his pickups stating funky dimensions.
            Also that 2.00" spec on the drawing is in a different font than all the other dimensions... So I am not out of line by calling in the "misinformation" card?

Thanks

Comment

I have a Duncan Jazz neck here. I just measured it and it's 49.23mm.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Meowy View Post
                Also that 2.00" spec on the drawing is in a different font than all the other dimensions... So I am not out of line by calling in the "misinformation" card?

Thanks
                Any 49.2mm nickel silver cover will be fine for Duncans unless its F spaced.

No not out of line at all. Like I said he probably lists wrong dimensions for several reasons.
                1) To protect himself
                2) To make sure customers buy parts from him that have been approved by him. Nothing worse than having someone muck your product up with lets say a cheap aftermarket brass cover and having your reputation suffer as a result.
                3) To eliminate copy cats

Comment

Kind of like how most maps have fictitious streets on them, and Gibson puts the wrong patent number on their humbuckers (still)!

Comment

I have an SH-1 in front of me. The cover spacing is 1.9265" or 48.93mm.

I got this spacing my measuring edge to edge where I got 2.1395". Then I measured the diameters of both "E" holes which were 0.21 and 0.216 respectively. I then divided each hole size by two, and subtracted the result from the original width.

2.1395 - (0.21/2) - (0.216) = 1.9265"

Hope that helps.

b.

Comment

thank you, one and all!

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post

I got this spacing my measuring edge to edge where I got 2.1395". Then I measured the diameters of both "E" holes which were 0.21 and 0.216 respectively. I then divided each hole size by two, and subtracted the result from the original width.

Hope that helps.

b.
                        I did mine from the left side of the first and last slug. I checked it again more carefully and got 49.09mm.

So it looks like 49mm is the average.

Comment

damnit why is it that yours is bigger than mine.

Comment

damnit why is it that yours is bigger than mine.
                            Don't worry... it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it...!

Erm, sorry, wrong thread... wrong forum!

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                            Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post

I did mine from the left side of the first and last slug. I checked it again more carefully and got 49.09mm.

So it looks like 49mm is the average.
                              Another traditional method is to use a vernier caliper with both inside and outside jaws to measure the distance between outside edges of the outer holes, and then the inside edges of the same holes, and take the average of the two measurements. This is quicker than two diameters and a distance, and more reliable than eyeballing alignment with two left edges.

Comment

Working...
                              X