Neo magnet procedures for magnetizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 cents:

Neo magnets are ok to magnetize (but forget to saturate them) small alnico rods. No way for ferrite or neo.

In order to have a whole magnetization (I mean maximum magnet field available) you need a magnetizer with 25K Gauss (55 K Oersted) minimum.

"We' ve been making overclocked pickups since 1983"

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
      My 2 cents:

Neo magnets are ok to magnetize (but forget to saturate them) small alnico rods.
      I didnt understand what forget to saturate them means, sorry.

The Neo's I picked up are about 5.3K way short of 25K. I dont think two 5.3K's equal 10.6K either. I will assume that I will be able to get close to a full charge with Neo's but not a full 100%. Otherwise everyone would own a charger, or not make pickups. Probably another reason is that it is a pain to have two huge magnets hanging around your shop. Much easier to turn it on then off again.

I more or less reverse the charging process; pass them through neo or ceramic mags but with a much higher distance between the neo and the pickup mags
      I will assume it the same polarity that you use for charging? I really dont understand the physices behind this but I will experiment at least this is info I can work with, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodenspoke View Post
        I will assume it the same polarity that you use for charging? I really dont understand the physices behind this but I will experiment at least this is info I can work with, thanks.
        Sorry for being a bit unclear. No, increase the distance between the neos, and flip the magnets. And I mean increase the distance much. Or better, use weaker magnets like ceramics. But as I said: I'm sure there are different views on this among the members on the forum.

Comment

Woodespoke, I tried also neo magnets, but I preferred to build my own powerful charger/discharger. In this way I can also choice magnetization level.

Pickups maker is my own job, I' m looking always for pro solutions.

"We' ve been making overclocked pickups since 1983"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
            Sorry for being a bit unclear. No, increase the distance between the neos, and flip the magnets. And I mean increase the distance much. Or better, use weaker magnets like ceramics. But as I said: I'm sure there are different views on this among the members on the forum.
            I have some small Neo's I use around my shop used for hanging tools, probably a good choice.

I checked the SM Strat set I ordered a year ago and all the magnets are demagnetized. Easy to see since they are not attached to each other. I did receive my Gauss meter yesterday. I checked out a Curtis Novak 51 P Bass pickup my student is putting in his bass build, makes it easy to check the magnetic charge which was around 1070 average on each pole. I have to check the pole size now. Hopefully I didnt give away any Novak secrets, Im bad.

Comment

Working...
            X