No announcement yet.

Telecaster Country Style Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget there is a huge difference between a Broadcaster/Esquire lead pickup and what came shortly after. B'casters used 43 gauge wire for one thing...
    when I first made my B'caster clone I was shocked at how much it sounded like a humbucker in alot of ways, thick, powerful, rock n' roll tone. The worst pickups Fender made were the early 70's tele bridges, really shrill, I still have a '72 I made a replacement for, the guy didn't want it back......
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
      Don't forget there is a huge difference between a Broadcaster/Esquire lead pickup and what came shortly after. B'casters used 43 gauge wire for one thing...
      when I first made my B'caster clone I was shocked at how much it sounded like a humbucker in alot of ways, thick, powerful, rock n' roll tone. The worst pickups Fender made were the early 70's tele bridges, really shrill, I still have a '72 I made a replacement for, the guy didn't want it back......
      What did they do to make them so shrill?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by roundmidnight View Post
        How did Danny Gatton get his tones?
        Mostly his fingers! But he also had a stainless steel bridge plate and Joe Barden pickups on his tele.

Boy it was sad to see him go.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Dave,

Did you get to see him live?

I didn't, a West coast dude and ill-informed to boot. He was a fantastic player. Right up there with the best natural musicians of all time. A lot of his tone was his technique but some if it was his hardware.

Does that SS bridge plate contribute to that nasal woody tone? It just stands out so strong. Part of it might be heavy strings, maple fingerboard, great Tele body, great Twin reverb amps, technique, his use of tone and volume pots, etc, but anyone that listens to him almost has to shake their head and wonder how he got that woody, bright nasal vibe.

Awestruck,

RM

Comment

Danny

Danny was the man. Seems most everyone in the playing out biz knows him around here. I live in Northern VA. I have a buddy thats been performing guitar since the 60's I think, he went over to Dannys house in the 70s, and when he walked in, he was just sitting there tearing it up on a lap steel guitar lol...

Rick Whitehead, the retired Air Force Airmen of Note guitarist, lives out my way too, teaches at the local university. Nice guy - he actually gig's with Danny's bassist these days, and Rick and Danny apparently knew one another as D.C. gigging musicians... Pretty cool

Danny was a sicko for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by roundmidnight View Post
              Dave,

Did you get to see him live?
              I wish! I've only enjoyed him on his recordings.

Does that SS bridge plate contribute to that nasal woody tone?
              I don't know. It was part of his tone, and even the Fender version had it. I've read interviews where he talked about it, but I don't remember what he said at the moment.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X