Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate cabinet inside wiring

Hi all,

I have a Crate 4X12 cabinet and the inside wires have come off the speaker tabs and I'm not sure about how to re-connect them.

There are 4 wires coming into the cabinet with the following colors:
    1) Red
    2) Black
    3) Blue
    4) Yellow

Each speaker has two connection tabs, 1 red and 1 black.

Thanks for your help!

what is the impedance for each speaker and what impedance are you trying to achieve? That is, what is the total load that you want your amp to see?

Comment

Pictures attached

Thanks for the reply.

I've attached some pictures that may be helpful. Right now I don't have an amp head for it, as I'm trying to sell the cabinet. So any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Xilefone
      Attached Files

Comment

I think you're going to need to go to the source for the info you need.

Comment

If the speakers are original, they are 4 ohm, as this is a 4/16 mono, 8 ohm stereo cab as shown by the picture of the switch.
          You need two more wires than you described, there should be a single wire connecting the left pair of spearkers in series, one red terminal to the other's black terminal. You need the same thing on the right side.

If you know all the speakers and the inputs were working, you can try proceding without a a schematic. I would guess that the red & black are one pair of leads and the blue and yellow are the other pair. So, starting on the right side, hook your red wire to the red top speaker, connect the black of that speaker to the red of the lower speaker, and connect the your black wire from the connection block to the black terminal of the lower speaker.

Plug a solid state amp or your stereo speaker output into the right input jack. DO NOT USE A TUBE AMP!. If it makes sound, that side is correct. If not, try the left input jack. If that makes sound, change the red and black leads from the right side speakers to the left side speakers.

Now connect the yellow wire to the red terminal on the top speaker of the other side. Connect the black terminal of that speaker to the red terminal of the lower speaker and connect the blue wire to the black terminal of the lower speaker. Test the other stereo input.

If you now have sound using both the left and right inputs, put the switch on 16 ohms and listen right along the centerline of the cablinet. If it's too quiet, the speakers may be out of phase. Try switching the yellow and blue wires to see if it's better.

Let us know how it works out.
          Tom S

Comment

Crate wireing

Ok, it seams you have the same cab as me. So here we go: Looking at the cab from the back The upper right hand speaker is Red on left terminal, Black on right terminal. Right upper speaker Blue on left terminal, Yellow on right terminal. The left hand speakers are connected together left terminal to left terminal. Right terminal to right. The right hand top and bottom speakers are connected left terminal to left terminal and right terminal to right. This will get the ohms switch working in the right order. Red wire on right on the four pin post. Hope this helps.
            Last edited by Viper-6; 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Hmm,
              I'm working on a Crate 4x12 cabinet that has a switch for 16 ohms, 4 ohms, and 8 ohm stereo.

I connected the yellow wire to the lower left speaker positive terminal,
              the blue wire to the upper left speaker negative terminal,
              and connected a third wire from the lower left speaker negative terminal to
              the upper left speaker positive terminal.

For the right side,
              I connected the red wire to the lower right speaker positive terminal,
              the black wire to the upper upper right speaker negative terminal,
              and connected a third wire from the lower right speaker negative terminal to
              the upper right speaker positive terminal.

Comment

Working...
              X