digital machinist magazine spring 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital machinist magazine spring 2009

plans for a semi-automatic coil winder -- machining involved, but a good read. Part 1 in this issue, next issue (part 2) has the details for the wire feeding and guiding mechanisms.

Doctor X
    Last edited by DoctorX; 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM. Reason: added comment

Can you post a scan of what the winder looks like finished?
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Sounds interesting. I've never seen that magazine though so I'll have to go hunt it down.....

Greg

Comment

Dave,

The article describes different possible configurations for the finished winder, but only shows portions of the winder -- no full views. The lead photo in the article gives a good look at the more important parts of the winder, so you can get a look at the electro-mechanical traverse mechanism. The same author published an article in an earlier issue on how to make encoders from inexpensive magnets.

Greg,

This magazine comes out quarterly, and is a companion publication to Home Shop Machinist and Machinist's Workshop, published 6 times a year each, on alternating months. The British counterpart is Model Engineer's Workshop, which comes out monthly.

If you are near a big bookstore or a magazine store, they may have one or more of them.

Reading these magazines makes me want to quit my @!!!@@## job and machine metal all day long....morning, noon and night. You can make damn near anything you want. Anything.

There is a home gunsmithing forum which has a section on machining, machine tools, and techniques using the smaller harbor freight, etc lathes and mills. These guys get very good results, and know how to beef up the smaller machines to get better results. Not as good as a larger machine, but better than out of the box.

Doctor X

Comment

Working...
        X