No announcement yet.

BDW83D and BDW84D TO-3P Equivalents ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BDW83D and BDW84D TO-3P Equivalents ???

Got a Hughes & Kettner Matrix 120 with both darlingtons blown.
    They are a BDW83D and BDW84D ,120volt 15 amps in a TO-3P package.
    Here in Aust neither RScomponents ,Farnell or WES components stock them.
    The TIP147/142 are only 10amps 100volts so I was wondering if there are any other equivalents.
    thanks..

Update The agent contacted me finally and can supply them for about $17 ea. Thanks for looking.

Comment

Good, because I couldn;t spot any alternatives right away.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Old thread, I know.

According to the H&K documentation:
        -MJH11018 is a sub for BDW83D (NPN)

-MJH11017 is a sub for BDW84D (PNP)

Comment

bdw83d - BDV67B supersedes bdv65b or 2SD2082
          bdw84d - BDV66B supersedes bdv64b or 2SB1682

have used these recently as replacements
          In life there are no problems, only challenges but in my present situation I may have a problem

Comment

BDV66B & 67B are only 100V parts.
            The original BDW's are 120V, the MJH's are 150V.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

^^^^ absolutely true, but we would like to know what the actual rail voltages are , and what impedance is the actual load connected to it.

If rails are +/- 40V , using BDW83/84D is a nice touch and what's to be expected from "a German amplifier" , he he but with such rails and 8 ohms humble TIP142/147 are more than enough.

If higher voltage (say +/- 45/50V and 4 ohms load) then BDW83/84 are not a nice touch but mandatory.

So please post which are the *actual* stress conditions (voltage and load) .

Often a "serious" manufacturer overspecifies but it's not *really* needed and if not available you may use a little less (still enough of course).

I've read a little about Matrix120 and I guess they come factory loaded with a single 8 ohms speaker.

If so, and no extensions are used, a TIP142/147 pair might be enough, at least to play while the heavyweights arrive.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
              X